Chapter 3

Jin POV:

I was shocked at the way Y/N had yanked her wrist from my grasp, the way she moved away from my touch as though she were afraid I would burn her. It was the first time in the twenty years that I had known her that she had ever rejected my touch. It was the first time she ever pulled away from me like that and it fucking hurt. More than I wanted to admit but I didn't know what to do. Why would she do that? What was going on? Why was she acting that way? I just didn't understand any of it and it was the first time in twenty years that I didn't even understand my best friend.

A quiet shifting from behind me and the scent of banana milkshakes filling my nose had me turning my attention to the hybrid on the bed: my other mate. Lost in my thoughts, I had almost forgotten about the hybrid behind me, but now with him in my line of sight, my attention was fully on him. My mate. We studied each other for a moment and I knew right away that he had figured out who I was to him, who he was to me. His eyes gave away nothing and I wondered what he was thinking.

Although I didn't know him at all, I was automatically drawn to the handsome hybrid and I wanted to pull him into my arms and kiss those pouty lips, the same exact feelings I had anytime I spent time around Y/N. However, I knew it wasn't the right time, the right moment, the right situation. I didn't want to scare him away before I even had a chance to get to know him. However, I did know he was stunningly beautiful. He had big doe eyes that gave him a sweet innocent look, pouty lips that looked extremely kissable, and thick chocolate colored hair that I wanted to run my fingers through. Even though he was malnourished, I could see that he was fit underneath his oversized clothes: a black shirt and black cotton pants – the standard clothes given to hybrids that are brought to the sanctuary. His tiny ears and thick tapered tail that hung over the side of the bed made him easily identifiable as an otter.

I directed my gaze back to his face and I could see him watching me carefully, his eyes worried. "My name is Jin. I'm a marten hybrid and a nurse here at Cherry Blossom Sanctuary." I kept my voice soft as I spoke to him, not wanting to spook the nervous looking hybrid that I knew to be my mate. I had been around enough anxious hybrids to know how to speak to them. Hell, I used to be an anxious hybrid until CJ and Alexis brought me into their home and introduced me to their beautiful daughter, giving me the family that I never thought I would have again.

"J-Jungkook." My mate's voice was deeper than I expected and I wanted to hear more of it. "You're... you're my mate, aren't you?" Although it was posed as a question, I knew he wasn't really asking me, just trying to understand it himself. I nodded my head and Jungkook's eyes went towards the door that Y/N had rushed out of and I could see the wheels turning in his head. "The human in here... Y/N... is she your mate too?"

I nodded again and even though I was a little surprised that she was his mate too, I had to admit I suspected it. It wasn't completely uncommon for there to be multiple mates in a group. However, a human mate was less common, especially in a mate group, but not completely unheard of. I had figured if she was mine, she had to be his too. Even though I had been extremely jealous of Sebastian, the idea of sharing a mate with Jungkook didn't sound terrible at all. "Yes she is."

"She seems... seems pretty nice." Jungkook's words were hesitant as though he were worried to admit it. "I'm not used to humans being so caring towards me."

Hearing Jungkook's words made my heart break a little, even though I shouldn't have been surprised. Hybrid abuse was still widely prevalent, happening to hybrids all over the world. Unfortunately, it wasn't just between hybrids and humans. As a nurse in the Sanctuary, I had seen my fair share of hybrids coming in with injuries caused by other hybrids and those were the cases that hurt the worst. And even though hybrids had more rights than ever before, and free hybrids had even more, it was still a tough life to live. The fact that I still was under Y/N's protective custody was enough to prove that. However, knowing my mate had been hurt caused something in me to clench in pain. It made me think of how the hybrid last night could have easily been my mate and the though hurt my heart.