Chapter 20

Y/N POV:

After the encounter with Taehyung at the coffee shop a couple of days ago, I couldn't get the handsome eagle hybrid out of my mind. I hated the way he had looked so upset when I had refused to be familiar with him, but I knew it was the right thing to do. The idea of Jimin finding out about me scared the shit out of me and for two days I was on edge whenever I was at work. Part of me was afraid that he would come in, angry and yelling at me for hugging him. I had been hesitant to return the gentle embrace, but the moment his arms were around me, I couldn't help it.

"Y/N? Honey you aright?" Sehun's gentle voice interrupted my thoughts and I turned to see him standing at the door to my office, a concerned look on his face. He made his way towards me and sat down on the edge of my desk

Reaching up to stroke a soft ear, I smiled when he leaned in, a soft purr filling the room. "I'm okay. Just a lot of things on my mind, things that I'm trying not to think about."

Sehun nodded, but said nothing else. We sat there in silence for a little while and I was grateful for him, grateful for his quiet intuition. He always seemed to know exactly what I needed and was always willing to provide it. He was one of my best friends and I didn't know what I would do without him in my life, without him by my side. After a few moments, Sehun stood and pulled me from my chair and into a hug, his tail coming to wrap around my waist. "I got to get back to work." Leaning back, he kissed the top of my head then left the office.

Knowing I needed to get back to work, I pushed the thoughts of Taehyung from my mind and headed out of the office. I knocked on the door of Chase's room and grinned when he called out enthusiastically for me to come in. I pushed opened the door and the lion's face lit up in happiness. "Y/N! You're here! You came to see me!"

Laughing at his words, I moved to his side. "Of course I would come see you. You're my patient silly."

Chase blushed then ducked his head. "I know, but I... I still like it when you come see me."

Reaching over, I stroked a soft velvety ear, smiling softly when happy noises came from his throat. I knew if the big cat could purr, the room would be filled with the sound. "So I've got some good news for you. You get to leave in two days. Dr. Sehun signed off on your papers so you'll be able to get out of here."

Chase's eyes lit up but then his face immediately dropped into a frown. "But... but I won't see you anymore." His pretty honey colored eyes filled with tears and I leaned forward, pulling the sad lion into a hug.

"Oh Chase honey. That's not true. You can come visit me anytime you like." I was surprised by how many former patients came back to the sanctuary. Some came to introduce their mates and then their babies. I had several bring me invitations for their graduations from college. One even brought me a beautiful dress she had created for me after finishing up with design school. It made my heart happy to see them and know they were doing well.

"Are... are you sure you wouldn't mind?" Leaning back, Chase studied my face and I reached up and ruffled his silky hair.

"Of course I wouldn't mind. My feelings might be hurt if you didn't." I pinched his cheek gently, grinning when he let out a completely harmless growl. Nothing about the lion in front of me scared me at all and Chase knew it. Although he had been listed as hostile and uncooperative in the beginning, I was quick to learn that the sweet lion had reacted out of fear, rather than anger and it was something I understood.

"Do... do I have to go back to the zoo?" Chase's question was worried and I shook my head hurriedly.

"No. Of course not. The sanctuary helped to dissolve the zoo's ownership of you so you are officially a free hybrid. You can make the choice on what you want to do with your life." Chase nodded and I could see he was thinking. "Is there anything you like to do?"