Chapter 1

Ten years later...

Y/N POV:

"Bring him in here guys."  I gestured towards the empty bed and motioned for the emergency crew to set down the badly injured hybrid.  The two guys transferred him from the stretcher to the bed and after giving me a quick update on his vitals, exited the room, called out for yet another emergency.  Trying to push down the hurt that filled my heart, quickly hooked him up to the monitors in the room.  One to measure his heart, a tube for oxygen, and one to track his pulse.    After making sure everything was connected, I studied the hybrid in front of me.  He was some type of small mammal and, judging by the small ears and slightly bushy tail, I guessed him to be either a weasel of some type or ferret. 

As I waited for the doctor to come in, I took a glance at his wounds, way too many for his small frame.  One of his fuzzy ears had been torn almost completely off, his right arm was twisted at an odd angle, and he had a gaping wound on his abdomen.  I waited for Sehun, our resident doctor, with a heavy heart, knowing exactly what he was going to say.  As I reached out to stroke his hair, a hand reached out and grabbed my wrist. 

"Please... please don't... don't leave me here alone.  Please... please stay with me."  The voice was just as weak as the grip on my wrist and I ran a gentle hand over his head, careful to avoid his injured ear.

"It's alright sweetheart.  I'm going to stay right here with you."  I continued to talk to him, telling him my name and where he was, but I knew he wasn't really lucid enough to understand.  He kept fading in and out of consciousness and the look of absolute pain on his face shattered my soul.  I gave him some morphine to take the edge off the pain, but knew I couldn't do too much until Sehun arrived and checked him out.

The doctor in question hurried into the room, eyes filled with worry.  He quickly washed his hands, slipped on a pair of gloves then moved over to the hybrid.  "Stab wound to lower right abdomen, small intestine almost completely severed.  Several bone fragments in large intestine from possible broken ribs."  Sehun took a deep breath and turned to me, his expression telling me everything without saying a word.

I ducked my head and took the injured hybrid's' hand, squeezing it tightly to let him know I was there, let him know he wasn't alone.  Reaching for the syringe behind me, I gave him another shot of morphine, this one quite a bit stronger than the last.  Unfortunately I knew at this point, it was mainly to keep him comfortable since it was clear he wasn't going to make it.  I stroked his soft hair, wondering how anyone could hurt such a beautiful person, cause pain to someone so innocent and sweet looking.

Sehun placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, squeezing it gently, his long fuzzy tail wrapping around my wrist in silent comfort.  "I'll... I'll send Jin in to sit with you."  He squeezed me again then left the room, closing the door quietly behind him.

After a few moments, the door opened and a head of dark brown hair popped in, a sad smile on his full lips.  Jin stepped in and closed the door behind him, moving to my side.  He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to his side.  "It's okay sweet girl.  I'm here.  It's going to be okay."

Looking over at Jin, I tried to give him a smile, but it just wouldn't come.  I couldn't convince my lips to cooperate, to turn up and reassure the hybrid standing next to me.  Letting out a sigh, I turned my attention back to the hybrid in front of me.  I continued to stroke his hair, trying to provide any type of comfort I could in the last moments of his life.

After what seemed too short of a time, the hybrid took one last breath then went silent, the monitor beeping once then letting out a steady whine as his heart stopped.  Wiping the tear from my cheek, I squeezed his hand one more time then released it, looking at the clock.  "Time of death 1:37 PM."  Shrugging Jin's arm off my shoulder, I reached over and switched off the monitor, knowing it was no longer capturing anything.