Chapter 17

Jungkook POV:

As I packed up the last of my stuff into the black duffel bag, I couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks. This was it. I was leaving my human mate, my Y/N. Once I walked out of that door for the final time, there was no guarantee I would ever see her again, ever hear her sweet voice, her musical laughter. I had screwed everything up so badly and I knew there was nothing I could do about it, no way I could fix it. I knew there was no way of finding a place in her heart again, in her arms.

Hoseok had told me that once they moved into their new house in just a few days, Yoongi would be moving in with them and I couldn't stop the flame of jealousy that sparked in my chest, filling my mouth with a bitter sensation that made me feel sick to my stomach. I knew Yoongi had been avoiding me and the realization of that hurt. I knew he was doing it to keep Y/N safe and the idea that he believed she needed protection from me hurt. And it fucking hurt bad.

Ever since Yoongi told his story about the circus owner, the shitty little hamster hybrid that had tortured him, I had been feeling even guiltier over everything that was happening with Y/N. I had rudely pushed away my sweet human mate, the woman who had never said a harsh word to me, never treated me as an animal. But a hybrid, someone who was supposed to understand what we were going through, put one of my mates through so much pain. Enough pain that he lashed out at anyone who had come close to us, so much pain that I almost lost one of the loves of my life.

Zipping up my duffel bag, I walked into the bathroom that I had been sharing with Hoseok and grabbed my toothbrush, letting out a sad smile at the Iron Man printed on it. After learning about my obsession with superheroes, Y/N had surprised me with the toothbrush. I had rolled my eyes when she had given it to me, but inside I was squealing at her sweetness. It was just one of the ways that she tried to make me feel at home, make me feel special, make me feel wanted and loved.

I headed back into the bedroom and stuck the toothbrush in the front pocket of my bag before flopping down onto my bed. I ran a hand over the dark comforter, feeling the softness underneath my fingers. After I had moved in, Y/N had taken me shopping to choose the comforter, laughing as I had to open the bags to feel the softness before deciding on which one I wanted. Instead of rushing me through the store, she just gave me an indulgent smile and followed me as I took my time deciding. And this was even before she knew she was my mate.

After finding out she was my mate, Y/N had immediately accepted me, showing me the same love and care that Jin had told me about, the same look of adoration that she bestowed upon him. She had accepted me into their tight knit circle like I was always supposed to be there. She babied me and loved me, making sure I ate enough and got enough sleep. Then when I met Jimin, I shoved her away. Pushed aside her love like it meant nothing to me. I knew I was hurting her, but I didn't want her to hurt me first.

A soft knock on the door had me looking up to see Namjoon standing there. I waved him in and he came and sat next to me, putting an arm around my shoulders and wrapping his tail around my wrist. "It's... it's going to be okay Kook. Jin, Hobi and me will come visit you. We promise."

"What about Yoongi?" I couldn't stop myself from asking about my other mate. "What about him?"

Namjoon ran a hand through his hair, sighing in frustration. "Yoongi... he needs time. He needs time to get over his anger, his feelings of betrayal." Kissing my cheek, Namjoon hugged me close to his side. "Yoongi went through a lot at the hands of a hybrid, so he is going to feel protective over the human that took care of him, that saved him from his personal hell. Knowing that she is his mate? That protective streak is going to be increased."

I knew Namjoon was right, but the idea of Yoongi rejecting me hurt. I knew I was doing the same thing to Y/N, but I tried to remember what Jimin said. Humans don't feel the mate bond like we do, so the rejection doesn't affect them as much, doesn't hurt them like it hurts us. However, whenever I looked at Y/N, looked at the sadness in her eyes, I knew I was hurting her. I knew me rejecting her was breaking her heart, but the fear that Jimin instilled in me was too much. It was too much for me to handle and the other part of me, my pride, didn't want to admit that I had been wrong. Wrong to listen to Jimin, wrong to reject my human mate, wrong to push aside the first human who had shown me kindness.