The family chapter-

Warning the civil war and depression. Just skip if. Ya ain't comfy with this. :)

This is more of just me casually writing after not having a will to do it in days.

Also, this is really just South Carolina angst because I love him.

South Carolina laid still in his bed, not that he could really move being burnt up and stuff. South let his mind wander. New Jersey had gone to grab him some food, so... He started thinking about his brother...

He still had hope North would find him soon. He even wore his moon pin everywhere. As much as he wanted to reunite the country he still felt out of place in D.C. Small new territories running around constantly, border states, northern. The only other Southern one here is Georgia and his cities. Meanwhile South had no idea if his were ok. God, he missed them. Even if Columbia could be a pain in the ass sometimes.

He'd give everything he had to see his family again. Then again. What did he have?

Confederate took most of his belongings and the little he had left was lost in the fires. Oh god... The fires... He knew right after Georgia was hit he was next. He prayed that Ohio would have some sort of mercy. But in war... Ohio could be a completely different person. Like Virginia. Or D.C. He was suddenly snapped out of his thoughts when New York and New Jersey stepped into his room. "Hey, Southie. We brought you some soup." N.J whispered, reaching down and pulling South up gently. 

South let out a small groan in annoyance, everyone has been calling him that since he got here. Georgia got a better nickname... Fucking Peach. New York sat beside him, slowly feeding the warm soup. It was pretty good. But had no signature flavor... Odd. But good. 

Then again there hasn't been a ton of food in the south or north since this stupid thing started. What was he even thinking? Maybe they could have talked everything out. It could have been fine if he hadn't convinced everyone to leave with him. Why was he even eating?

He didn't deserve this... He should be killed. They should have killed him. Why the hell didn't they? He deserves it! He caused a whole war almost killing people he loves and cares about. Why is he eating?

"Southie? You good? You seem kinda lost in thought." N.Y asks. "I'm fine. Fine. Fine. Fine..." South mumbled, pushing away the spoon. He didn't deserve to eat. Someone better than him can have it. And at this point, it's almost anyone. "Southie. You have to eat." South mumbled something and slowly reached up to his pin. 

"Southie. Eat. The. God. Damn. Soup." New York demanded getting irritated. This time he shoved the spoon into the small state's mouth. "WOAH!!  YORK CHILL!!" South Carolina managed to swallow it without choking. Somehow-

"What? He won't eat!! And in his physical state (HA-) a meal is really beneficial."

"Like shoving food into an already injured person is healthy. Maybe he's just not hungry. We can try again later." N.Y rolled his eyes, upset that for once the other state was right. New York got up and left. Leaving the two alone.

South Carolina didn't like it...

He didn't deserve having the northerners take care of him. They had been so nice to him and Geo when they returned. It was kinda odd. But then again war changed people for the worse or better. Hell. Georgia told him that New York cried for both of us when we arrived all burnt and bloody. I was still unconscious around that time.

"Southie. Uhhh... Would you like me to bring in Georgia?" Jersey asked. He knew how well the two got along and he really looked like he could use some comfort. South gave a small nod and Jersey left again.

God he needed whiskey...

They won't let him drink his pain away up here. Geo was complaining about that a lot with him. As happy as they were to be 'home' they missed their alcohol terribly. A few minutes go by and Georgia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey walk in. "Hey, bud," Geo says softly carefully sitting next to the other state. "You not eating?" South nodded. 

"Heh. same-" South Carolina cracked a small smile. "GEORGIA!!" PA yelled, probably would have hit him if he wasn't in pain already. "Oh! Right sorry... Ya gotta eat bud." South shook his head. Why eat anyway? They were just gonna die sometime in the future. No real need. "Would it make you feel a bit better to eat with me?" 

"Yeah..." South mumbled, the only southerners really need to stick together. That and it's wholesome-

"We'll go get the food." New Jersey said, the northerners exiting the room quickly. "I miss my family..." South Carolina mumbled. "Me too. I'm sure they'll be ok. We gotta think positive thoughts ya know. They'd want us to be happy." Georgia replied, moving a little. "But what if they aren't ok? What if..." South messed with his hands panicking. "Positive thoughts!!" Georgia growled.

"Fine fine... sorry."

+lil' time skip+

South Carolina managed to finish his food and now the two were just making small talk while PA and N.J slept next to them. Because the southern states refused to let them just sleep on the filthy floor. That and that was Georgia's job, sometimes- "You know... Life is kinda weird." Georgia said softly. "How so?" South asked tilting his head. "Ya know how we used to read this kinda stuff in books not thinking we'd have to live through this. Like twice." South nodded. They did go through two revolutionary like wars huh... 

Other than this one sucked.

"Do you think kids in the future will learn the truth about all this?" Georgia asked, his eyes slowly wandering around the small room. "Maybe. They might change a few things." 

"Now to randomly change the subject. Boobs." South started howling with laughter. Georgia loved randomly changing subjects. And half the time it was something dumb. "Calm down ok. Just- they're squishy. And nice." The southern states both started laughing for a while. Then sitting in comfortable silence. Suddenly South felt arms wrap around his waist and he began to panic. "What the fuck?!" God... He should have yelled... But if his throat still hadn't hurt. 

"Calm down it's just Jersey. Now shut up I'ma sleep too." And with that Georgia laid down and almost immediately passed out. Not much of a surprise there. Alabama told him about the little sleep the state was able to get since this war started. Southie- I mean South just sighed and started petting the northern state clinging to him. Feeling sleepiness overtake him. And after a few more pats and a silent prayer he went to bed. 

:)