Bruno Ending

Bruno swears he could hear his heartbeat down to his fingertips. He cared about (Y/N) far too much. When did it all start? He would never be able to find a clean answer. Perhaps it's when he first saw her and she stole his breath, or maybe when she first moved in and fit so splendidly into their daily lives, or maybe it's when she looked at him with such a clear expression and told him her wish to defeat her father.

He couldn't understand. Where did he go wrong? He wanted to protect (Y/N). For the beginning of it all, he wanted to protect her. Those shy moments of weakness that she rarely, ever so rarely let slip were his own nicotine, addictive and alluring. When she confided in him, when she trusted him, when she would do anything to help. It was unfair, did (Y/N) know just how much of an effect she had? He wanted so desperately to protect her from the horrors of the mafia, yet how is it that she's the one who each time, managed to protect him? There was nothing he could do to stop her, and time and time again he would give up even trying, knowing that her freedom is what made that smile so bright.

That freedom led to this moment, where seperated by glass and space, he could only watch as the last shots quietly burst. His stand couldn't bring him to her fast enough. God, how could he just stand still as she fought? How could he leave her there to fight on her own even when every ounce of him desperately cried to help? How could he not do something so simple? The glass tore open with a haphazard zipper, Sticky Fingers launching him out the window to go to her aid and try to catch her before she fell. It was an impossible feat of course, with the distance and the gravity, he would probably have to be launched out of a cannon for such a feat to be possible, but he still chastised himself on it. He would do that for her to make up for it all, he would really do anything for her, as long as she was happy. "(Y/N)!"

By the time he managed to get by her side, (Y/N) could only stare blankly at the sky, eyes hollow and breathing soft. Every joint and muscle ached like nothing she's ever felt before, so much she could almost burst into tears at the overwhelming pain in her body. The voice that called to her felt so far away, so high above her it may just be a cloud that was speaking to her. But it calls, voice syncing with the man clad in white above her, crisp raven locks filter the sunlight, bathing her view in a sort of blurry, ethereal glow. "I think I'm dying..."

"No, nonono, You're not dying. You're not dying. Look at me, You're going to be okay, alright? You did it, you don't have to fear him anymore." He smiles at her antics, knowing that she'll be okay. She's smiled at much worse injuries, and his relief sends a hand on her cheek, tenderly wiping away one of the hairs stuck to her. Her eyes don't look so pleased with her results, but he chalks it up to being tired. "Come on, I can patch you up inside, okay? You did splendidly, I'm so proud of you..."

"Why? What did I do?" This stranger disregards him, sitting up to stare at the pile of clothes at her feet. Sure, the compliments feel nice and all that, it's nice to have some, but she didn't understand why they were deserved, or who this guy really was. She knows her heart soared at his words, but she couldn't find it in herself to explain. Who was this man whose laugh was breathless and their eyes sweet? "Who are you again...?"

The question knocks him off his feet, and he could only stare at her incredulously. Did she... No, he wouldn't believe it. Was that what her father did? The last hurrah of a man he's never even heard of? Bruno didn't know that man's name, but he curses it to hell. Why? When she's finally found where she wishes to stay, the people she cares for, why did she have to forget? It seems too cruel of a fate, and her expression mimics it. She knows something is terribly wrong, horribly wrong, in fact.

"I can't remember you. I can't... I... I'm sorry" Her voice was hoarse, from the pain of her wounds or of her mind, she doesn't know. The soul above her was so warm, a royal blue that she could bathe in if she so tried, but every time she recognized him, her mind would reject it, as if this man really didn't exist. She wanted so desperately to remember who this man was, what her relationship with him was, because even the sight of him in pain brought her to tears. "I don't know you, I'm sorry, I can't..."

Bruno was never one to act so rashly. Sure, he was a man of honor, with a strict code he would break for nothing in the world, but as much as he should have let go, he couldn't. Was it okay to hug her? Would it be too much to ask for her to remember him at all? "I know. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay."

Would it really? She doubted his words, but his touch was comforting, at least. She didn't know his name anymore, so she couldn't respond. Shutting her eyes, (Y/N) leaned into him, trying to recount the small moments that would have tied them together, the pattern of his suit draped over her arms, the desperation in those sapphire eyes of his, even the way he held her like her entire body would shatter, each and every moment was so small and so inviting all she could do was cry, because not even his name remained.

"You'll be okay, my angel. My little angel," It's a nickname that he gave her a long time ago, even if he's only kept it in his mind. She never really liked it, since she really wasn't so much an angel and more of a little mini devil that eats others food and sleeps in their bed. But he thought it suited her when it mattered most. At least, to him.

There was some sudden click in her brain, the dumb label just enough to stir up some semblance of an emotion she didn't quite understand, to be honest. (Y/N) could only laugh weakly, clutching him to maintain her balance. Ah, she remembers it well. When was the last time she called her that? Two years ago? It was mostly to make fun of her, she swears. But she didn't think it would make her heart skip a beat this time. "Damn, I still hate that nickname, but yea, I think I'll be just fine, Bruno. Just... hold me a bit longer, can you?"