Chapter 53

Hope you all enjoy!

Chapter 53

Mia sat between my crossed legs, holding a pile of cards in her hands. Across from us sat Shauna, the little girl that told me what was going on when Mia first came. She also had a few cards in her hands. They were playing Go- Fish, with me assisting Mia.

"Do you have a... Seven?" Mia asked.

Shauna glowered, and handed over her seven card to Mia. Mia set aside the pair, and beamed up at me. I couldn't resist laughing at the pure joy in those large dark doe eyes. She was practically bouncing in my lap with joy.

Mia had finally opened up to the other girls in the home, and spoke freely with them now. She was still really attached to me though. Caring for her made the ache in my chest vanish just a little bit, but didn't make the physical state of my body any better. It was three weeks since Jace told me the truth.

"Do you have a four?" Shauna asked.

"Go fish," Mia cheered.

I peered over at the cards in her hands, and spotted a blue four between her six and three. I nudged Mia. She turned, her long dark hair brushing my thigh as she did so, and looked up at me with a questioning look.

"What?" She asked pulling her best innocent look. I guess that's what I looked like when I pulled the exact same face at people. It was damn adorable, so I didn't understand why people had a problem with it.

"You know what," I said sternly.

Mia huffed, pulled the blue four out of her cards, and handed it over to Shauna. Shauna cheered, and set the pair down.

Suddenly my butt vibrated. I jumped, which led to a squeal from Mia. It took me a moment to realize it was just my phone ringing. Pulling my phone out of my back pocket, I looked down at the name on the screen, and my heart thudded hard in my chest. It was the same person who called me nearly every day.

Jace, my phone flashed. I felt the ache return to my chest, and felt like ripping it out. I hated the feeling seeing, speaking, or even thinking that name brought. My finger hovered between the answer and ignore button.

I knew I had to talk to him eventually. It was more appealing just to let my future self deal with that though. So I hit the ignore button.

I set Mia down on the floor.

"I'll be right back," I muttered.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"I need to go make a call."

With that I headed outside. The fresh air calmed the hammering of my heart. I sat cross legged in the backyard at the edge of the woods, staring at the small black phone.

I knew what I had to do. I had to call him. I promised Cole I would, but I was terrified of what he would say. I was afraid of finding out the truth, of acknowledging just how sick I am. But the call from Jace reminded me of what I had to do.

With a deep shuddering breath, I picked up the phone, and scrolled through my contacts till I found the four lettered name. I hit the call button, and pressed the phone to my ear. It rang.

I could hang up, and just pretend as if I had just butt dialed him or something.

Right before I got the chance to pull the phone away from my ear, a voice crackled through the speakers.

"Eliana?" He asked.

"John," I whispered. It felt so good to hear a familiar voice.

"Hey wassup? I hadn't spoken to you in forever. How are you holding up?" He asked.