Chapter 58

Chapter 58

I stared out the window at the crowded store fronts, shifting my phone nervously in my hands. I was hoping he would just call so I could avoid this entire ordeal, but Emily insisted on it.

I had left the hospital four days ago, with my arms full of pamphlets on pregnancy from the hospital. Emily also promised to help me read through a bunch of books she had check out from the library the next day. To add to it all I had to keep all these books and pamphlets hidden in my suitcase under my bed, and read it out in the woods or on the few rare occasions there was nobody home. I guess it was good my bed was at the end of the room, so I could easily sneak books and pamphlets into my bag.

To say I was overwhelmed was an understatement.

The first day back from the hospital didn't really go too well. After half a day of just moping around the home, while everyone was out at the swimming pool a few blocks over on the gorgeously warm summer day, I finally gave in and did what needed to be done. Well actually Emily kind of forced me to. She started up this whole mumbo jumbo explanation about how I needed to call Jace, because a father deserved to know about a baby he had conceived.

She had a point, but I stormed off into the kitchen where I found myself a snack. Well actually more like a huge ass sandwich with veggies and lunch meat. After half an hour of me glaring at the condensation on the outside of my lemonade glass, Emily joined me and made a cup of tea to help me relax.

I explained to her the gist of the situation between Jace and me. She coaxed me into calling Jace, reassuring me it would all be ok. That just wound up with getting his voicemail. So I texted him. Then I called again. I tried to call him every few hours throughout the next four days. By the end of it all I wound up filling up his voicemail.

So Emily resorted to this. We were currently driving to Jace's house. I was nervous as hell, but I could feel myself getting weak again, so I forced myself to do this. The hospital had helped give me back some of my strength, but not enough to help us survive if I waited much longer. I didn't want to risk having a miscarriage. Due to this it didn't take much convincing from Emily this time. I knew I had to put my feelings aside, for the life growing inside of me.

I wrung my hands together, since my phone was starting to get covered in sweat. Slowly the busy city streets started to morph into the wooded highway.

The butterflies in my stomach transformed into angry hornets.

How do you even break it to the guy who slept with you for power while he was in love with someone else, and accidentally created a child at the same time? "Wassup baby daddy?" He would probably run away as soon as he heard those words.

I remembered how he reacted with the little boy at the park. He admitted to being terrified of children. Hell, he looked like the child was going to explode. How would he be with his own child? What if he was a horrible father? Would he be too afraid of it? Ashamed? What if he wanted nothing to do with it? 

The hornets in my stomach twisted, and felt like bile in my throat.

"Pull over," I croaked.

"Are you ok?" Emily asked, shooting apprehensive glances my way.

I shook my head, breathing heavily, trying to keep it down.

Emily pulled over on the deserted highway. I shoved the car door open before the car even came to a stop, ran a few steps before falling to my knees, and threw up. I heard a door open and slam close over my retching. My hair was pulled away from my face, and tied up into a messy bun as Emily rubbed my back.