Chapter 54

Chapter 54

John and I must have talked for longer than I had planned. It was already starting to get dark out, which meant dinner was over already. It was too risky for me to miss a meal with the way my body was acting. I debated turning around and buying a muffin for myself, but quickly decided it would be better to head home and eat a filling dinner. Besides I didn't think I'd have enough money.

Was John right? I know that I sure as hell didn't want Jace around me now. I was happy without him. But I knew I was still in love with him, which hurt a hundred times more. It hurt to know I was in love with the man who had deceived and used me as a way to gain power. Most days I pretended as if these feeling didn't even exist, and whatever that I couldn't ignore I turned into anger. I guess you could call that moving on, right?

But deep down I knew John was right. I would die if I didn't get back together with Jace. It wasn't worth it to die over a stupid mate. I wanted to scream at whoever decided I should have a mate, and made my life instantly more complicated by matching me up with Jace.

I could be as angry as I wanted to be with Jace, but it was a ridiculous reason to let myself die over something as stupid as this. This meant I would have to call him. I shivered instantly at the thought, and felt the hard cold lump return to my throat.

I entered the house, and was welcomed by the screams of little girls running away from the volunteers, who were trying to put them to bed. Mia was among the herd of small children running down the stairs, emanating high pitched screeching. I cringed, as I closed the door with a loud snap. The girls looked up at me, and suddenly the hoard hurtled towards me. Crap! I was knocked off balance when Mia came jumping up into my already weakened arms. I fell onto The Mountain, which wasn't exactly the best cushioning considering one of Jenna's heels was stabbing into my side. My breath was knocked out of me, and for a frightening moment I couldn't catch it again.

All thoughts of calling Jace flew out my mind.

"Where were you?" Mia asked, squirming up out of my arms.

Once she was off of me, I was able to catch a steady breath. I took my time to answer her so I could breath, by slowly getting up from The Mountain.

"I had to meet up with a friend," I replied.

The other girls had run into the living room. Mia moved to go chase after them, but I quickly caught her arm.

"No you don't," I scolded. "Come on, lets go off to bed."

"But-" She started to protest, but I cut her off by pulling her up the steps with me.

Mia was already dressed in her over sized white t-shirt, that served as pajamas for her. She was clutching a pair of pajama shorts, which meant that the volunteer had been in the middle of dressing her when she and the others ran off.

When we reached the top of the steps I had to pause. The walk, although refreshening, had drained what little bit of energy I had left. Walking up the steps didn't help the situation at all. It left me feeling light headed, my breathing shallow, and my limbs shook even harder.

Mia yanked on my hand to pull me along to her room, with surprising strength. I followed her into the empty room with five beds. The occupants of the beds were still running amok around the house.

Mia leaped gingerly onto her bed, knocking off her pillow.

"Come here," I called, as I sat at the foot of her bed.

Mia came over, and allowed me to put on her flowered shorts.

"Did you brush your teeth?" I asked.