Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Let's just say sleep did not like me very much. Right around midnight I woke up with tears springing to my eyes, and a churning stomach. I didn't know why I had this feeling, but I did. I sat up to go get a drink, but froze seeing the large room I used to live in until I was 12. I rubbed my eyes, willing them to show me my dark messy room at home. I removed my fists from my eyes, to still see the dark room I once lived in.

I suddenly remembered everything, and my turning stomach and tears returned. I got out of bed to go get that drink I wanted, and to distract myself from thinking too much. I found some socks, and slipped them on to save my feet from the cold floors. I quietly made my way to the door, and opened it up with a loud squeak.

I tiptoed down the stairs, and into the kitchen. I rummaged around in the cabinets, until I found a glass. I pulled out the milk bottle, and poured some into my glass. While pouring I heard a creak from the old floor boards echo around the house. I froze, with the milk still tilted, but no longer pouring. This time I heard the hinges of a door squeaking open. I set down the milk, and walked over to the doorway.

I peered out into the dark hallway, to see nothing there. I turned to look at the cold inviting glass of milk waiting for me on the counter. I looked back at the dark hallway, just as another creak echoed the house. I left my post by the doorway, and headed down the dark hallway, lit only by the dim lights from above the counter tops in the kitchen.

I checked in the dining room first. I saw nothing in there, but the long tables and rows of chairs. I turned back around to let out a startled scream, and sidekick the intruder behind me, knocking the person to the ground. When I realized who it was, I couldn't help the long string of apologies that left my mouth.

"Here you go," Emily said handing a cup of relaxing herbal tea to me. I took a sip, involuntarily burning my tongue. I choked up a cough before setting down the cup to cool off. Emily came over and sat down beside me. She held an ice pack to her upper thigh, that was starting to swell.

"I am so sorry again!"

"It's fine hon. At least I know you could take on any intruder. So would you like to tell me why you were up?"

"I couldn't sleep," I rushed out. I grabbed the small cup of hot tea forcefully, and buried my face into it. My hair also created an awesome curtain to block my face with.

"I feel so bad about what happen to you. I still don't understand why after all those years you ended up back here," She sighed, before mumbling something and taking a sip of tea. I too took a small sip before setting it down.

"It's really complicated, but I understand it at least," I said.

"Would you like to explain, because I would love to understand!" She said frustrated and pissed off.

For the first time I wanted to pour out everything. Just tell someone every little secret I kept. Every reason for those secrets. Everything. It bared down on me so heavily for so long. I wanted to do nothing but talk until well after the sun had risen into the sky. I wanted to tell no matter who it was to.

"It's complicated," I said before even realizing that the words had slipped my lips. No, why? I wanted to tell, and that was my chance. No. I didn't want to tell anyone, I wanted to tell that one special person. Reveal all of my problems to him until the morning. Share every problem that made me who I am now. Have him comfort and protect me.

"I see..." she said slowly, probably trying to understand the messed up look on my face caused by many thoughts buzzing around.

"I completely understand the situation, but I wish I didn't have to. I wish I could still be with my family, in my room sleeping peacefully. I wish... But not all wishes come true," I finished in a whisper before bursting into tears.