Chaper 60

Chapter 60

I passed the next few days with reading up more about pregnancy and babies. Each book I read made me more terrified than comforted like Emily had promised they would. How the hell was I supposed to care for a baby all by myself? Not parents, siblings, or baby daddy in the image.

I still got calls from Cole, but none from Jace. I managed to get a hold of a pack member from my family, and let them know there was a werewolf in the orphanage. They promised to pass along the message to my family. They too seemed to never pick up their phones.

I could feel myself starting to get near the state my body was in the week I feinted.

"Eliana!" Emily called up the stairs, over the squeals of a few girls playing hide and seek.

"Yeah?" I asked when she came into sight.
She led me into the deserted kitchen, before turning around and answering me.

"Here. I got the vitamins you will need." She handed over the small bottle of vitamins. I took it with a grateful smile out of Emily's hand. She turned her back on me, and started peeling some potatoes.

"So did you get a hold of him yet?" She asked, as I hopped up onto the counter.

"No," I said. "He's been ignoring my calls."

"Hm... can you stir this for me?" She asked, motioning to the cooking meat on the stove.

"What should I do about the baby?" I whispered, as she began to peel another potato.

"Don't worry about it. Leave that all up to me. I have a few tricks up my sleeve. You just worry about those books, and getting a hold of the father. Easy enough," she reassured.

I nodded, wishing it really was all that simple, and the only thing I had to worry about. I hopped off the counter, and padded upstairs. I deposited the vitamins into my top drawer, after taking one. I grabbed my phone, and headed out with Hailey.

We wandered down the busy road just a few blocks from the orphanage. We were going to meet up with Abby and Chloe at the same cafe Jace and I had made a meet up spot, and then head off to the mall. I was in desperate need of some more jeans and shorts. All of mine were starting to get a bit too tight around the waist.

"So why did you feint?" Hailey asked suddenly.

It was just then that I realized this was our first time alone together since my visit to the hospital. Nobody else but her would have dared to ask me about what had happened to me.

I glanced at Hailey, whose eyes were boring into my own. I looked away, and watched a man hustle past carrying a crate on his shoulder.

"Something about being dehydrated," I said, not daring to look into her eyes.

It was the excuse Emily and I had agreed to give anyone who asked. This way I could hide the entire pregnancy until it was noticeable, which would be happening sooner than I hoped.

"Oh, I thought it would have something to do with you being so sick," she said accusingly, obviously not buying the excuse.

"I'm not sick," I defended.

"Sure," she snorted giving me a once over.

I rolled my eyes, and entered the cafe. Abby and Chloe were waiting for us at the nearest table to the entrance.

"Ready?" Chloe asked, sipping from the smoothie in her hands. My eyes rested on the drink for a moment too long. My mind wandered to the memory of Jace offering the exact same smoothie to me. I shook my head to clear it of such thoughts, and muttered a quick yes.