Chapter 63

Chapter 63

Life moved on. It was so strange to see how much everything had changed. Dylan was gone most days on guard duty or training. Mitch spent most of his day patrolling the boarder or with Kathleen, who was thrilled to see me again. Philly had a job at Dairy Queen so he was also gone a lot. Mom and Dad were home less, busy with pack issues and jobs.

I had also changed. I kept everything a secret from my family. I wasn't ready to tell them I was pregnant. I knew they would insist on getting an ultrasound. They would realize it was a werewolf, and even a bit bigger than an average werewolf baby. They would piece together who the father was. So for the time being I kept everything hidden. I wore baggy clothes, I ate a lot when no one else was around, and kept all the books hidden under my dresser.

I sat on the couch, licking peanut butter off a spoon in the living room, while watching a rerun of Prison Break. I was so into the show, that I was literally leaning forward in my seat on the couch. If anything sudden were to happen on the show, I'd probably fall right off.

My phone dinged. I glanced at it, and saw a reminder on the screen. I picked it up from it's place on the couch beside me. Doctor's appointment- 3 pm.

"Crap!" I swore.

How was I supposed to get there? Nobody was home, let alone willing to take me without wondering what was wrong. If only I still had Emily. She could have taken me. I debated calling her, but then remembered she had to worry about all of the girls she is actually in charge of. She would also disprove that I hadn't told my family the truth yet.

I pulled out my phone, and looked up the fastest bus route to get there. I swore again when it showed that the closest bus stop was a mile away. I couldn't walk all the way there in my weakened state.

I knew there was one person who said he wanted to come with me to my doctors appointment. Was that request only reserved if the baby was human? Should I call Cole? I didn't have to forgive him yet. I could just ask him for a ride to my appointment though.

With my mind made up, I dialed Cole's number. After two rings he answered the phone.

"Eliana?" He asked in shock.

"I need your help," I whispered.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah. I just... Do you still want to come to the check up with me?" I asked.

"Of course. When is it?" He asked.

"Today at 3."

"Crap," He whispered.

"What? You can't take me?" I asked.

"Don't worry about it, I'll just move a few things around in my schedule. I'll pick you up at 2:45, ok?"

"Better make it 2:30. I'm not at the orphanage right now."

I decided not to elaborate, but to explain what had happened when I was with him in person. I promised to text the address before hanging up.

I had 20 minutes to get ready. I turned off the tv, and headed upstairs with the jar of peanut butter. I dressed quickly in my new shorts and a tank top. It was way too hot to wear a baggy t-shirt today. Besides I wouldn't see my family till later. I stuffed a baggy t-shirt into my purse for later though. I spent 10 minutes trying to make my face look more alive, so my doctor and Cole didn't freak out.

I heard a car honk out front, and knew he was here. I grabbed my jar of peanut butter, and headed out to meet him. When I got into the car I didn't greet him, I just stared moodily at the the dashboard. Cole pulled out of the driveway. A tense silence started up around us.