Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Is anybody home?" I called out as I walked in through the front door. Thunder echoed outside, warning be of an upcoming storm.

I had dropped Kathleen off at her house already. I slammed the door shut. I let my backpack slide off my back and clatter onto the floor. I walked into the kitchen to find something to eat, more along the lines of a pudding. I found a note on the fridge. Eliana- got rid of all the puddings. Love mom! Gee, thanks a lot mom. I stomped over to the cupboard and found some popcorn. I stuck it in the microwave. I pulled down a bowl to put the popcorn in when it was ready.

The small popping sound coming from the microwave kept my mind busy from becoming popping popcorn itself. A thought would start to appear but then I would quickly shoo it away, occupying my mind with the rhythm of the popcorn. When the buzzer went off I jumped a foot in the air. I was as jumpy right now as Athena used to be before she died of old age. The picture of my pet mouse started to form but I quickly changed it to Dylan.

Where was my family? I was really getting worried, and that added with nerves is not a good combination. The entire drive home my mind had vanished from Jace and started to go to Dylan's words. Every car that sped past was a Steffans coming to get me.

I poured the popcorn into the bowl, and sat down in front of the TV turning it up loud enough to fill in the silence around the house. I slouched down on the couch with my feet sitting on a pillow and my popcorn on my stomach. I was trying to enjoy the episode of Friends that was on, but my mind was wondering back to whether would come after me. Stupid douches to try and chase after me. But yet with every minute I was getting jumpier. I was finally starting to get into the story line. My brain was practically clear of any of my previous thoughts.

The door slammed open. I screamed and jumped in my seat knocking half the popcorn on the couch.

"Who's there?" I called out trying to clean up the half spilled popcorn. The bowl toppled out of my hands and landed upside down on the floor. "I give up."

I walked over to the front door to find it wide open. A loud clap of thunder sent me jumping again, then the rain started pouring down. I closed the door keeping out the wind and rain. I heard a rustling sound coming from the kitchen. Slowly and cautiously I walked into the kitchen. When I opened the door I  found Philly rummaging through the fridge. I sighed out a breath of releif. He still hadn't heard me. I grinned and grabbed a wooden spoon. I ran over to Philly and hit him in the shoulder with all the power I could muster. He fell to the ground cursing me.

"What the hell Eliana?" He growled, holding his arm.

I shrugged and walked away from him and sat up on the counter. "I thought you were a bugler."

He glared at me and continued rubbing his shoulder.

"Why did you leave the door open?" I asked.

"I didn't," He said confused.

"I swear to god Philly, if you are trying to scare me I will hit you again," I said raising the wooden spoon ready to swing.

He flinched away from me. He shook his head, and started walking slowly towards the door. He motioned for me to follow him. His nostrils were flaring indicating that he was trying to sniff out someone. He wrinkled his nose and started walking towards me. He stopped a foot in front of me sniffing the air. He stared at me confused.

"Who have you been with?" He asked.

"Kathleen," I said worry lingering in my voice.

He glared at me. He then turned around and started walking towards living room. I was frozen in my spot trying to figure out what just happened. A clap of thunder sent me running after him.