Chapter 67

Chapter 67

All movement stopped once again, but this time it seemed as though people were unable to move. The word mate echoed around the clearing. Not a single sound could be heard, other than a distant bird chirping in the forest. The silence was so tense, you could actually feel it on your skin.

"What do you mean she's your mate? You can't be mated to a human!" His dad snarled after he was able to wrap his mind around the idea.

Voices erupted around us. Arguing, shouting. It was as though Alpha Stephen's voice had awaken everyone.

I turned around to face my own family and pack. They were in an uproar.

"I don't know how this happen, but it did." I shouted so loudly it ripped through my chest, so I could be heard over the animalistic sounds. Slowly a silence spread back over the clearing so they could hear me speak. I continued to shout with force though. "Jace is my mate, and there's nothing any of you can do about it. Kill him if you want, but you would be killing me if you did that. Mom, you said so yourself. People can't control who their mate is. So why punish us for something that's out of our control?"

Nobody had anything to say about that. Dylan had finally stopped snarling though.

"Jace doesn't have to accept that,"Alpha Steffen exclaimed. His eyes on me with the deepest look of disgust, as if I was just a wad of gum stuck to the bottom of his shoe.

"Everyone knows mates can reject each other." Jace's father continued with a snarl, "He doesn't need to be stuck with some pathetic human from the Jenner's pack. He can be stronger than that. Take a strong werewolf to mate, who will produce strong offspring. She would make a much better Luna than you ever would."

Jace was staying strangely quiet. I don't know if it was because he was afraid of his father, or because this was also his alpha. He seemed to be frozen. I took a step forward, to really face the alpha. There was now a only a three foot gap between us. I knew it was stupid the instant I did it, but I let the anger soaring through my veins take the lead.

"You are willing to risk your sons life? He will die if he rejects me. And even faster than a normal rejection, because I'm human." I snarled, staring straight into the black eyes, finally facing the man that I had feared for so many years. I had the courage to stand up to him, because something very important to me was on the line at this very moment. Jace's life. "You can't replace me, and thinking you can just shows your ignorance. You just don't get it! I was the one that was chosen to not only be the best mate for your son, but also to be the best luna for your pack."

He snapped. I knew I crossed the line, but I'd let my hormones take control of me anyways. Alpha Steffen instantly shifted into a large silver wolf, whose onyx eyes glowed with rage. I stumbled back as he crouched to lunge at me. I sensed Jace move into action, but suddenly the large silver wolf knocked me down. I landed roughly, with an audible gasp. I winced as my head contacted the earth with a sharp snap that echoed pain through my head.

Jace was also tackled down, but by a member of his own pack. From the looks of it, the Beta. The furious Alpha snarled in my face. Instead of protecting my face though, my hands instinctively wrapped around my belly.

Just like a few weeks before with Cole, I blurted out the only thing I thought could stop him. Except this time I had to hope that this would save my life, not just momentarily freeze up Jace's father.

I spat out the blood pooling in my mouth from when I had bit my tongue when I hit the ground, and spoke.

"I'm pregnant," I said, feeling the words burn with regret.

The alpha froze just as I had expected, head drawn back to snap at me. All sounds from the others fighting around us also stopped. I didn't dare look away from Alpha Steffen to check though.