Chapter 40

NOT EDITED! hope you all enjoy!

Chapter 40

I was suspended in midair, and the feeling of nothingness wrapped around me. The air brushed through my clothing and hair, trying to push me back to that safety of the ledge I had just left behind. I felt my stomach leap up, and a rush of adrenalin pumping through my veins. These thrills were something I enjoyed. I don't know why falling towards a hard surface from high up would be exciting, but it was.

Then a shooting pain jolted through my legs as I felt the steady earth beneath me. Ignored the pain, and stood up from my crouched position on the ground. I looked back at the ledge I had just jumped off from. It was a thin ledge of a few inches of brick sticking out from the walls of the house, that was strategically placed a few feet under my window. The ledge wrapped around the entire house making for an easy exit from any window on the second floor.

I brushed my clothes down, and then started towards the treeline at a quick jog, where Jace was supposed to be waiting for me. The last thing that I wanted was to be caught out after curfew, especially after I was just scolded for always being out.

I reached the trees, and hid in the shadows that would conceal me from any wandering eyes out there. It was silent in the woods, except for the hoot of an owl chasing it's prey, or the scurry of the nocturnal animals on the thick undergrowth. The trees blocked out the sounds of the city ahead of me.

I turned back to look at the sleeping orphanage. It was a bit past midnight, so the entire house was sleeping. Luckily all my roommates were heavy sleepers, or else they would have heard me get up and dress, or the window squeak as I opened it.

If I were caught, what would happen to me? Emily would for sure ground me from going anywhere but school. She would be disappointed. But I knew if I were caught, then the guilty feeling bubbling up in my stomach would not be as bad as it is now.

But I had a purpose for coming out now. While I had been lying in bed, I realized everything was going too fast between Jace and I. I had full hardheartedly leaped onto a speeding train. If it crashed, which it was bound to do, I wouldn't be able to survive. I needed to slow down, and take a step back. I know that going tonight was not going to help much, but I had to see him to explain it.

I heard a snap of a twig from behind me, bringing me out of my thoughts. I spun around, and a large hand came over my mouth stopping me from screaming out. I brought my arm back to punch my attacker, but when I looked at the face my arm fell limp at my side.

A grin spread on his face, and his hand left my mouth, and moved to my waist. Jace pulled my closer to him. I rested my hands on his strong chest, and his lips came down to meet mine. All thoughts of telling him that we needed to slow down, left my mind. My heart leaped up, trying to get out of my chest. I felt heat wrap around me. His lips were soft, but didn't linger on mine for long. When he pulled away, I looked up into his bright eyes.

"Ready?" He asked.

"For what?"

"It's a surprise."

I frowned, but let him lead me. His fingers intertwined with mine, and we both started tromping deeper into the woods.

"Will you at least tell me where we are going?" I asked after a moment of silence.

"Nope," he answered, popping the 'P'.

I grumbled a bit, and he just looked away like he didn't notice. We were still walking when I stumbled, and my foot caught in a root. I was sent flying to the ground. Before I could hit the forest floor, Jace's arm wrapped around my waist to catch me. He pulled me up to my feet, and brought me into him. The movement reminded me of a rag doll.