Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Beep Beep! The sound of my alarm woke me. I quickly turned it off before it woke anyone. I was covered in sweat and the room was very stuffy. I sat up and found the locks of my hair caked onto my back from the sweat. I peeled off the blanket, and listened to the sound of silence echoing the house. The only sound was the air conditioning clicking on and the wind outside my window. It had been about four days since I had been allowed to go out, and I was itching to get my revenge. Sadly my revenge always happened during the middle of the night so I got very little sleep.

I opened up my window, and breathed in the crisp fresh air. It had a very earthy pine smell with a hint of rain coming from the north.  Perfect they could never smell me coming. I pulled all of my wavy dark locks of hair into a messy pony, and slipped my sweatshirt into my duffel bag that contained some of my revenge items. I was furious with the fact that they sent someone to try and get me, and that that person tore up my ankle with his stupid teeth. So revenge was definitely needed. I tossed my duffel bag over to the small landing over the back porch that just also happen to be right below my bedroom window. I then proceeded to gently dropping it onto the ground and following after. I bit back a hiss as I landed on my still sore ankle.

I quickly bent back up and listened to the sounds of the night making sure nothing was out of the ordinary. I may be human, but I had amazing senses. I learned from my family and those years of being out in the woods at night to always listen for anything, a twig breaking, a rustling in the under growth, or even the gentle sound of breathing. I turned my head around several times before I was satisfied. I sprinted into the woods before I was discovered by my family. I stopped again to let my eyes adjust to the patches of moonlight scattered throughout the woods. I had a flashlight just in case, but that would be a dead give away. I may as well be lit up with a thousand neon signs saying come over here.

I eventually found the creek that ran straight past their house in the woods. I stepped into it with my water proof boots on to confuse them of my washed away scent. When I first moved in I didn't know about this life so I treaded right up this creek and onto the land. I can still remember it perfectly.

I had been traveling through the woods when I came across the creek. It was a very hot summer day so as soon as I saw it I jumped in. I found this fish that I was convinced I would catch by stabbing it with my stick. So of course I chased it up stream until I saw this big house through the thick foliage. I left the fish be, and journeyed to the house in hopes of desertion and ghosts. As I neared the house my chances of that coming true diminished as a car came into view. Suddenly out of no where some young man comes over and tackles me to the ground. Another older man came out from around the house with 3 other boys.

"What's going on?" one of them asked.

"I found this girl lurking in the trees" the one that tackled me spat. He stood me up but with my arms behind my back.

"She's human," One of the boys said. Human?

"But she reeked of the others of our kind," The same young man that was holding me said. I tried to smell myself, but all I smelled was a really bad case of BO from the dude behind me and the woods. Maybe a bit of my lemon shampoo but that was it. Wait, kind?

"Let her go Eric," The man said. He released me and I dodged out of his reach, but stood by a tree ready to climb or flee if needed to. I knew they would catch me quickly, so I may as well try to talk myself into freedom.

"There that's much better," Said the man. "What's your name?" He asked in a tone you would use with 6- year- olds. 

"I'm not 6," I growled. They all looked at each other.