Chapter 28

Chapter 28

How could words change the way one thinks of you? How even one single word changes the way your best friends think of you. That's the power we have given to words. We let them lead our lives, they take rein. But if it weren't for words, then how would we communicate? What tools would we use to fully express ourselves in comprehensive way? How would we live out daily life without this mode of communication? That's why every single word needs to be calculated. I couldn't lose control; let just any word that comes to mind pass my lips. The effect could be harmful. But I just had to go with it. I honestly envied the mute right now.

"It all started the day I was adopted..." I looked up seeing Keila was still clutching her tissue, twisting it nervously in her hands.

"I came into a family that loved me as fiercely as I loved them. They became protective of me quickly, but I didn't know why, or from what. After a few months I started to notice odd things. One day we all came together, and they confirmed my suspicions. I had been adopted by a family of werewolves, but not just any family..."

Another set calculated words. I watched her eyes to see her reaction while I thought. Just let the bomb drop. I braced myself, in case this turned out wrong.

"I was adopted into an alpha's family."

Her eyes flinched, because she knew what was coming. "Alpha Jenner's family."

There it was, the snap. I could see it in her eyes, she was fighting herself not to lose control, and kill me on the spot. She flinched at first, as though the words were acid. There it is again, the control we give to words.

"You may not like him, but he became my father. They all became my family that would literally jump in front of a bullet for me. They were all I had!" I couldn't lose control.

"Why did they give you up then, if they loved you so much?" she asked, once she got control.

"I was in danger. Your pack was trying to kill me, and then a rouge found out about me. Rouges had been getting thicker around here. Other packs had spotted them headed our way. So it was too dangerous for them to keep me."

She shot me a sympathetic look.

"So what's this all have to do with Jace?" she asked.

Another set of calculated words.

"Well when your pack captured me, and put me into that prison," I shivered at the memory, "I found out that Jace was my mate."

I decided to stop with the going around crap, I was just going to come out with it all.

"What?" she asked utterly confused.

"Jace is my mate!"

There was nothing much to it.

"B-but that can't be... Humans can't have mates. Jace was supposed to be mine!"

She had lost control of herself. Luckily it wasn't of her wolf, just her possessive side.

"I know, but-" she cut me off.

"You can't just go around like a slut, claiming people's boyfriends as your mate. You can't!" she yelled, standing up to look more intimidating.

Screw the calculated word crap! If she's going to lose control then so could I. Yeah I know, wrong thing to do, but I was pissed.

"You think that I picked him. Damn fate made him my mate! I would never pick somebody as heartless and cold as Jace." I spat out standing up in anger, sizing up to her.

That was when she slapped me! It was a sudden bitter slap, that left my cheek stinging. I turned back to look at her with my mouth hanging wide open in an O shape. She did not just do that!