Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I yelled as the white wolf leaped at me. A yell that was sure to send people who were around running to discover what was going on, or so I hoped.

I spun around, and took off into the trees, leaving the clearing behind. I went through the thickest patch of trees. Each one was so close together, that as I ran past the branches scratches my body. I turned to look, and saw the wolf running behind me at a slower pace as he had to shimmy, and duck to go around the trees. I gathered the dress up to my waist, and started running even faster.

I was doomed. It was as simple as that. Even if I could run for a long time through here, I would eventually tire out, and he would get me. If I climbed up a tree, high enough he couldn't follow me, then I would be safe. But I couldn't stay up there forever.

The only way I was getting out of here was if someone came and rescued me. That would only happen if my dream was right. If it was right, then Jace would also be getting hurt.

Why did I have to run off? Why didn't I just stay in Jace's safe embrace? I brought this upon myself.

I felt warm tears run down my face. It was not a time for tears! I yelled at myself, as I pushed myself even harder. I looked around for good climbing trees. One with branches low enough for me to reach, and high and thin enough up that he couldn't follow. Nothing.

I saw a large moss covered log come into view. I didn't dare slow down, as I leaped over it. I felt my dress rip on a broken off branch on the log. I looked back and saw the rouge leap over it, and land closer to me.

"Shit!" I swore, and pushed myself harder.

I sprinted, and could feel my feet ripping open from the rough undergrowth, and sharp stones. Eventually my feet just numbed out, but the wetness surrounding them made it hard to grip the earth to run faster.

I kept my eyes forward, and suddenly I was plunged into freezing water. I let out a loud yelp but I pushed forward, and the water reached my waist. I looked down to see myself crossing a wide creek. The creek turned sharply to my left, vanishing into the trees.

I just reached land when I heard a splash, and knew the wolf was in the creek now. He was close. I stumbled a bit as my even wetter feet tried to slip out from under me.

I saw another even larger fallen log blocking my path. This one would be impossible to leap over. When I reached it, I started to hoist myself up the rough bark. I heard the thrashing of the wolf through the undergrowth behind me. I reached the top, and jumped.

As soon as I reached the ground I tired to run. Thanks to my wet feet, instead of running my feet just slipped out from under me. I looked up and saw that I was in a large clearing with the creek from before running through it at the other end.

I heard a deep snarl from directly behind me. I spun around, and saw the wolf reach the log. He didn't even check his pace as he ran head on at the log.

I was for sure dead now! Even if I could get up and run, there were no trees to slow him down. The closest trees were all the way across the clearing, or towards the wolf that was about to jump and land right on me.

Everything slowed. My hands started to grip the dirt, and I started to pull myself up. The wolf leaped. My shaky legs refused to support me. He was over the log now. I tried to crawl back so he wouldn't land directly on me. A snarl rose up around me. One that held so much anger. My eyes widened as he wolf started to get closer and closer. He was literally two yards away, and was about to land on me. I braced myself for impact.

"I love you," I whispered lowly, not even knowing myself who it was meant for.

Another growl erupted, and suddenly a large mass of black fur slammed into the white wolf that was seconds from landing on me. Both wolves fell off to the side, into a massive heap of yelps and snarls. I had no idea who my savior was, but I could only hope that he wouldn't harm me.