The Forbidden Zone 1 part 26

Climbing out of the tomb Coral landed on the ground surrounded by her friends, "You okay?" JJ asked. 

Nodding she held up the FedEx envelope, "Its from Daddy," she told them handing the envelope to her brother. 

Eyes wide John B took the envelope tracing over the names, Bug and Bird, written in their father's handwriting, "I told you it was real."

"Okay, well can we get out of here then?" Pope asked motioning in the direction of where they'd come in from. 

Walking into The Chateau Coral used her flashlight to look around, "Those idiots totally fucked up the house," she complained looking around at the mess caused by the square groupers.  

"We'll help you clean it up," Pope offered as he lit one of their lanterns they kept handy for power outages.  "I'm freaking starving," JJ announced pushing past everyone to the kitchen.

"Don't you keep that refrigerator open for long.  The dry ice only goes so far," Coral called in to him.

"Alright guys come on let's do this," John B said walking into the kitchen and sitting down with the envelope.  Following JJ and her brother into the kitchen, along with Kie and Pope, Coral leaned against the counter while the others crowded around the table.

Pulling the tab on the envelope John B opened it before pulling out a folded map.  Opening it he smoothed it out on the table, "Holy shit," he muttered.

"Oh, X marks the spot," Pope said pointing to a black hand drawn X on the map.  

Slipping in under JJ's arm Coral leaned against the table to get a look at the map.  Feeling something under her hand she picked up the envelope and pulled out a mini recorder, "John B," she said getting her brother's attention as he talked longitude and latitude over the map.

Taking the recorder he looked up at her before hitting play.

"Dear Bird and Bug," came their father's voice from the recorder.  Gasping Coral felt JJ wrap his arm around her waist as she leaned against her brother's shoulder.

"Who's Bird and Bug?" Pope asked.  "It's what their father called them," JJ answered quietly as they listened to the man on the recorder.

"I hate to tell you I told you so, but I told you so," the tape continued, "And you doubted your old man.  I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, Bird, but don't kill yourself just yet, Kid.  I didn't expect to find the Merchant either.  You were probably right to call me out. Leaving you and Bug alone all that time. Wasn't exactly Father of the decade.  What can I say kids?  I could smell the barn.  And hopefully we're listening to this in our brand new sugar shack down in Costa Rica, living off of passive investments and pulling on permits.  If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the maps for.  There she is, the wreck of the Merchant.  If something happens to me, finish what I started.  Go for the gold, kids. Take care of each other, always.  I love you Bird.  I love you Coral Bug, even if I didn't always act like it.  I'll see you on the other side." 

As the tape recorder clicked off Coral took a stuttering breath as she wiped at her tear stained face, "JB," she choked out as her brother sat staring at the recorder in her hand.  "Baby Girl," JJ whispered tugging on her waist.

Turning towards JJ, Coral let out a choked sob before he pulled her into his arms.  Wrapping herself around him she cried into his shoulder.

Hearing the kitchen chair scrape against the floor Coral felt John B's arms come around her and JJ.  After a few seconds she felt both Kie and Pope join the group hug.