Our secret November Part 1

"This is bullshit! You can't just leave us here alone. What about Coralina!" yelled the angry voice of John Booker Routledge. Jolting awake Coralina Routledge rolled to her back as she listened to her twin brother argue with their father.

"It's fucking Thanksgiving, Dad. Coral has a turkey, an entire dinner, and our friends are coming. You're just going to leave on some wild goose chase, again? You can't keep leaving us here for weeks at a time," she could hear her brother yell, "We're sixteen for fucks sake!"

Taking a deep breath, Coralina wiped the tears from her face before burying her head under her pillow to drown out the loud voices coming from within the house.

Her father was obsessed. He'd been searching for the shipwreck of The Royal Merchant for as long as Coral could remember. The shipwreck was rumored to have 400 million in gold aboard when it went down, off the coast of the Outerbanks, North Carolina. Over the years, Big John's obsession had cost him jobs, friends, a marriage, and now it was costing him his kids.

Throwing the pillow off her head, Coralina could hear them still arguing. Sighing, she reached for her phone. Noting the time was barely 6am she found the contact and sent a text:

Coral🐚: Hey, u awake?

Laying back she waited. "You have to disappear?" she heard John B question, "Uncle T? We barely know him and you're going to send him here to take care of us?" she heard him yell. Feeling her phone buzz she looked at her text.

Pretty boy🏄: I am now. What's up?

Coral🐚 : They're fighting again. He's leaving.

Pretty boy🏄: Wtf you're having dinner later. U want me to come?

Hearing someone outside her door Coralina shoved her phone under her blanket as her door opened slowly to reveal her father. Seeing her awake Big John smiled, "Hey Cory. I need to talk to you," he told her quietly.

Swallowing Coralina bit the inside of her cheek, "I heard. You're leaving," she stated quietly. Approaching her bed he sat down on the edge, "I have to Bug. I'm on to something and I need to chase it down," he told her, praying she'd take it better then her brother.

Nodding Coralina gave him a small smile, "I know Daddy. How long will you be gone this time?" she asked, clutching her phone that was buzzing under her blanket. "At least a month or so which means your Uncle Teddy will be coming to stay with you and your brother," he informed her, "We don't want Sheriff Peterkin to come sniffing around, again."

"Will you be back for Christmas?" she whispered. "I'm gonna try, Bug. Definitely by the new year," he assured her, "I'm sorry I'm gonna miss your dinner today, but I know it's going to be great," he told her smiling. Not trusting herself to speak Coralina simply nodded.

Rising from the bed Big John patted her shoulder, "I'll see you in a few months, Cory.  I'll call in to check on you.  Take care of your brother," he told her before leaving her room. Taking a deep steadying breath she blinked the tears away before pulling her phone out.

Pretty boy🏄: Coral?

Pretty boy🏄: Baby? Where did you go?

Pretty boy🏄: Coralina?! Baby, you have to answer me or I'm coming and I don't give a fuck who finds out.

Coral🐚  : I'm here. He was saying goodbye. Where are you?

Pretty boy🏄: On your porch

Coral🐚 : What are you going to tell my brother?!

Hearing the floor creak in the hallway Coralina looked up to find her brother standing in her doorway, "You okay?" he asked. "Pretty much used to it," she answered, shrugging.