My Druthers 3 Part 55

Pulling up to the retirement home Pope jumped into the back with the girls.

"Well?"

"Shit, just got personal," Pope replied.

"Well we're heading for Geechies since Coral didn't get us anything to eat," John B told him, "You can tell us on the way."

"You didn't say you wanted anything!"

"Anyway, the key belongs to Denmark and he and his wife, Cecelia were my grandparents like way back," Pope told them, "It's why the key was in my family."

"Holy shit! That's freaking amazing!"

"Did your Mee-maw have any idea why this Limbrey chick wants the key so bad?" Coral asked.

"No, she didn't know any more past the point of Denmark being hung for simply wanting to bury his wife," Pope responded.

Parking the van the group headed up the dock to Geechies where the boys went in to grab food and drinks.

Hopping up onto one of the outside coolers with Kie they waited for the boys to come back.

"I still can't believe you're related to Denmark Tanny," John B commented as they walked out of the store.

Smiling when JJ threw her a can of beer Coral blew him a kiss before asking, "So does that mean like technically you own Tannyhill?"

"All hail the Lord of Tannyhill!" JJ cried as he pretended to bow down to Pope.

"Alright just relax" Pope said as they all laughed, "I just keep thinking about the letter. The one that Limbrey sent. It had the wheat symbol on it," he told them.

"So, you think it has something to do with the Royal Merchant?" John B asked.

"It does seem a little fishy."

"Well if we find that cross, we can split it like we were gonna split the gold."

"And live happily ever after," a breathy voice said walking around the corner trailed by the man that had been chasing JJ, Kie, and Pope in Charleston.

"You assaulted my father!"

"Oh, I didn't assault anybody," Carla Limbrey responded with a smile.

"He can identify the psycho from a mile away," Kie retorted.

"Why would my employee assault your father?" Carla questioned.

"Don't play dumb. It's not a good look on you," Coral told her.

Glaring at Coral, Carla looked back at Pope, "Listen we can keep negotiating but the fact is I want that key and I won't stop," she told him as the man with her grabbed up Pope.

"Hey!"

"Let him go!"

"Um, you're not talking about this key are you?" John B asked holding up a key similar to the one Pope had.

Turning to John B Carla gasped, "Yes, that's it."

"Well looking at the tide right now I'd say it's about twenty feet deep out there. So if I just threw it in the channel the probability of you finding it again are slim to none. Wanna give it a shot?" he threatened, raising his arm.

"No!" Carla yelled, "Please don't do that," she breathed out as John B lowered his arm.

"Tell him to back up," he told her pointing to the man who still had a grip on Pope.

After the man backed away Carla looked at Pope, "As I've told you from the beginning I am willing to be reasonable."

Glancing at John B, Pope nodded, "Okay, I'll give you the key if you give me the tape you have."