The Phantom 1 Part 42

Kissing Coral's forehead JJ left her sleeping across one of the booth seats before heading to the restaurant door.  Propping the back door open he listened to the sounds of the police sirens they'd been hearing all night long.

"Did you sleep?" Pope questioned as he made his way to where JJ stood.

"A little," JJ replied, "I was more worried about her," he said, glancing in at Coral.

"You know she's gonna have to leave with him?"

Biting the inside of his cheek JJ just nodded, "She's not gonna go."

"She has to," Pope repeated, "We don't know what Ward is capable of, and if she's left here she could get shipped off to God knows where courtesy of Ward, and then what?  No one knows where she is.  I mean his son just killed someone and he pinned it entirely on John B.  It's plausible he could make her disappear too."

Opening her eyes, Coral stayed completely still as she listened to Pope and JJ talk.  She knew Pope had a valid point, but she couldn't imagine leaving JJ behind.

Hearing another set of passing sirens JJ sighed, "John B could already be pinched.  We don't know."

"No," Pope responded, shaking his head, "They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him."

"They could be looking for Coral, now."

"I don't think so.  If anything they'd stop and make it known they have him to get her to come out of hiding," Pope reasoned out.

"You know, we were in that car.  They're probably looking for us too," Kie said, as she sat up and stretched.

  They're probably looking for us too," Kie said, as she sat up and stretched

"I'm sorry," Coral told them as she too sat up.

"Nothing to be sorry for," JJ told her. 

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws we may as well help John B," Pope decided before going to JJ's bag and snatching the key to his dirtbike. 

"Where are you going?"

Giving Kie a brief look Pope turned his back on her before addressing JJ, "I'm gonna get gas for the boat.  Meet me at the dock at 3.  Don't be late."

"Pope, be careful," Kie pleaded as he simply rolled his eyes and walked out the door.

"What's up with him?" Coral questioned as Kie stood up with a huff. 

"It's my fault," she said before storming out the door after Pope. 

Confused JJ just shrugged as Coral got up and they followed after the other two.  Standing on the back deck they couldn't hear the argument Kie and Pope appeared to be having over Pope revving the dirtbike.

When he took off on the bike Kie turned around throwing her hands in the air, "I didn't mean to hurt his feelings!" she cried as she made her way back to Coral and JJ.