Dark Forest 2 Part 73

"Why would he steal my money clip?"

Wincing Coral glanced at Kie sitting on the couch next to her before focusing on Kie's very upset parents.

"Okay, but we're not gonna press charges on him, right?" Anna questioned, from where she sat at the kitchen table.

"Dad, please."

Pressing his lips together, Mike stopped pacing and turned his furious gaze on Kie. Glancing at Coral, he sighed, "Okay. No charges, but I'm not," he began before a knock at the door interrupted him.

"Sarah?"

"That's probably for us," Kie said innocently before grabbing Coral's hand and dragging her to the door.

Swinging the door open, the girls greeted Sarah, "Hi!"

Blinking, Sarah cleared her throat, "Hey, uh, I don't mean to bother if this is a bad time," she said, fidgeting with the strap of her duffel bag.

"No, you're good," Kie responded, shaking her head, "What's going on?"

"Why do you have your bag?" Coral questioned.

"Oh, uh, well, John B and I kind of got into, like, a little fight."

Humming, Coral nodded, "I take it he lied to you too."

"Yeah, and basically I don't have anywhere to stay, and Rafe's at Tannyhill, and I was just wondering, like, maybe I could stay here with you?" she asked, looking at Kie hopefully.

"Yeah, of course."

"Hey, hey, no!" Mike exclaimed walking up behind Coral and Kie with Anna trailing behind him, "We're already dealing with one delinquent issue. We're not adding another one."

"Dad."

"No, Kie. Your dad's right. We need to finish this business with Coral. I'm sorry Sarah." Anna apologized.

"No, of course. I'll, uh, just talk to you guys later," Sarah responded.

"Sarah, just go back to the house. You have a place to stay there," Coral told her. Nodding, Sarah turned and hurried across the porch and down the steps.

"That was so rude," Kie said as she closed the door and turned to glare at her parents.

"You really want to argue rudeness right now?" Mike questioned, "Especially when we're not done talking about how one of your delinquent friends stole from me. Now, back on the couch," he demanded, pointing.

Opening her mouth to argue, Kie huffed out a breath as Coral pushed her back towards the couch, "Yes Sir, Mr. Carrera." Sitting down they waited as Anna returned to the table and Mike began to pace.

"Now, as I was saying. Kie, I think it's time you drop some of these friends. They're nothing but trouble."

"JJ's not trouble," Kie defended.

"Need I remind you of the stolen money clip, Kie?"

"Mr. Carrera, I'm very sorry about the money clip," Coral spoke up.

"It's not your fault Coral," Anna assured her.

"Not her fault?" Mike questioned, "Our daughter went missing for a month because of her father's obsession with some non-existent gold. Not to mention that little gangster, JJ, is her boyfriend."

"Dad! Mike!"

Taking a deep breath, Coral let it out slowly, "Look, I know you're angry, Mr. Carrera. What JJ did was wrong, and he knows that. Despite what people think on this island he's not his father. I'm not my father. I owe you and Mrs. Carrera a great deal. You gave me a job when I needed it most and quite honestly, you're probably responsible for keeping not only me, but my brother, and JJ alive this last year when my dad was missing. We never meant to cause anyone harm or for you to worry about Kie as I'm sure you have. I only wish that I could make it up to you both."