The Runway 2 Part 40

Sitting down next to her brother Coral smiled at the picture of their father, "I wanna know what Lana told you," she told him as she picked up the basket. 

"Coral, I don't think that's a good idea," he responded taking the basket from her before grabbing her hand, "What's this?"

"JJ, got it for me," she responded as he studied the ring on her finger. 

"It looks like an engagement ring," he said glaring at JJ. 

"Cuz it kind of is," JJ responded with a shrug as he sat beside Coral. 

Squealing Kie sat next to John B leaning over the boy to get a look at the ring on Coral's finger, "You didn't say anything."

"Well JB decided to run off with a gun so there was no time," Coral responded, "Now you evaded long enough.  I have a right to know, JB," she told him as he lit the basket and set it into the water.

Watching the flaming basket float away he sighed, "They apparently got into a fight.  Dad hit his head and passed out.  Ward assumed he was dead and dumped him overboard," he told her pausing as she took a shuttering breath. 

"What do you mean assumed?"

"He survived," he continued taking Corals other hand and giving it a squeeze, "He washed up on an island about 30 miles off coast and Scooter found what was left along with his compass."

"What was left?" she asked quietly.

"He died of exposure, starvation, probably dehydration," he listed trailing off as she turned into JJ's chest when he put his arm around her. 

"He can't get away with it," JJ voiced as she silently cried in his arms. 

"We should go to Peterkin," Kie suggested as she wiped tears off her own face. 

Nodding John B sighed, "Right now I just want to lay here and miss my dad," he told them before moving to lay on the dock using a life preserver as a pillow. 

"Come on, Baby Girl, let's head inside," JJ said helping her up from the dock.  Saying goodnight to her brother Coral allowed JJ to lead her inside with Kie trailing after them. 

Leaving Kie on the pull out couch Coral and JJ headed down to her room.  Collapsing on her bed she lifted her hips as he removed her shorts.

"Are you changing or sleeping in your bikini?" he asked. 

"I'm too tired to move."

Nodding he climbed in bed with her, "We're gonna make that asshole pay," he told her quietly. 

"Who's gonna believe us?  You're the first person to say we can't trust the police.  You really think we have a chance against King Kook?"

"That's what I thought," she said when he didn't answer her.

"It's gone!  The fucking gold is gone!" John B yelled, flinging the bedroom door open the next morning.  

Jerking awake Coral sat up, "What?" she questioned trying to wrap her mind around whatever her brother was yelling about.

"The gold.  Cameron stole it," he told her impatiently before turning and disappearing from the doorway.  

"What the fuck is happening?" JJ questioned as the two climbed from her bed to follow behind John B.  

Finding both John B and Kie down at the dock they walked down to meet them.

"John B what happened?" Kie was asking when JJ and Coral made it down to the end of the dock.