Trapped 2 Part 61

Pulling the door of the church open the six entered slowly.  Using their cellphones for light they moved farther into the room.

"It's gone," Kie stated as they all looked at the spot where the cross had been only hours prior.

"Damn it!"

"What do we do now?" Sarah questioned.

"You want a plan?  I have a plan," JJ answered agitated, "We go grab some kerosene tanks from the Chat, then we go to my dad's shop and get some dynamite.  We go down to Charleston and tell this lady who she's messing with!  Because this is some bullshit!"

"JJ, we can't blow someone up," Coral told him.

"You have something better, Baby Girl?"

"I'm thinking," John B spoke up, "She's right we can't just blow shit up."

Looking between the twins JJ sighed before turning around to Pope who was standing by the alter looking around the church, "I'm sorry, Pope."

Turning around Pope looked out at his friends, "Denmark would've stood right here preaching to everyone he set free.  A slave, the sole survivor of the Royal Merchant, he got the gold and the cross, and he brought them to shore and he used it to free every person who walked through these doors," he told them pointing around the church.

"He made a church, a family, a congregation," he paused, "A home.  And the Limbreys took everything from him.  They sicced dogs on his wife and his kids and when he tried to get her remains, they hung him.  Well, I'm done.  I'm tired of this shit.  That is not how this is gonna end," he declared moving back towards the doors of the church.

"We need a freaking win, guys.  I'm going to get my family's cross," he told them opening the doors of the church, "You guys coming?" he asked before heading back out into the night.

"Well when he puts it like that," John B smiled looking around at the others.

"Hell, yeah we're coming Pope!" JJ yelled taking Coral's hand and following after the boy.

Climbing into the Twinkie, they'd left behind earlier when rushing Pope back to town for medical attention, John B started the van and drove them towards town.  Driving down the stretch of road they'd just walked John B swore as he came around a bend and saw the flashing lights up ahead.

"Uh, I think they found the truck," he told them as he began to slow down as he approached.

"Shit!" Kie swore ducking down behind the passenger seat as John B came to a stop.

"Evening Officer," he greeted.

"That's Sheriff," Shoupe responded as John B nodded.  "Of course, Sheriff," he replied as Shoupe shined his flashlight into the Twinkie, "Speed kills, huh," he commented gesturing towards the wrecked truck.