The Darkest Hour 1 Part 52

Jumping as the judge banged her gavel Coral felt JJ squeeze her hand.

"John Booker Routeledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14 you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty," the judge announced striking her gavel one more time as the courtroom erupted.

  If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty," the judge announced striking her gavel one more time as the courtroom erupted

"Your honor he's not even seventeen!" JJ yelled standing up angrily.

"Stop," Pope hissed at the outraged boy. "No, he's only sixteen!" JJ exclaimed.

"Quiet!" the judge demanded, banging her gavel again, "Bailiff!"

"John B, we're gonna figure it out!" JJ continued to yell as Coral stood and tried to move closer to her brother.

"JB! Booker!" she cried moving forward only to have the bailiff step in front of her and hold her back.

"Stop! Don't touch her!" Kie yelled at the bailiff shoving him away from Coral as she took her arm and led her back to JJ, "Come on guys. Sarah let's go," Kie said as she gathered the Pogues and moved them out of the courthouse.

Taking JJ's hand Coral let him steer her out of the courthouse and down the steps. Ignoring the looks and the comments coming from the crowd she stared straight ahead.

"I should have never come home," Sarah sniffled wiping her face with the back of her hand.

"You should've never trusted your father," Coral snapped, glaring at the girl, "Now my brother could die because of your family."

"Coral," JJ whispered as Sarah began to cry harder.

"Sorry for what you and your family have gone through. Thank God the system works."

Stopping dead Coral turned to the crowd of people surrounding Ward and Rose Cameron, "Will you shut the fuck up. Of course you think the system works because it was made to protect you and people like you."

"He'll have his day in court and we'll let the jury decide."

"He shouldn't even be in court," Kie spoke up coming to stand next to Coral, "You should, cause you're a murderer!" she exclaimed, pointing to Ward.