Secret of the Gnomon part 80

"We're gonna be landing about a couple hours out of Tres Rocas, at a farm," JJ said pointing at the map in front of him, "It's right here."

"A couple of hours?" Kie asked.

"Yeah, but Barracuda Mike says there's a bus into town we should be able to catch, so....," he shrugged.

"What if they're not there?" Kie questioned, glancing at a sleeping Coral.

Sighing, JJ folded up the map, slipping it into his bag as he too looked to where Coral was curled up sleeping, "It's really not an option. We're gonna find them."

"You guys should've never come for me. You should've went with the others," Kie told him.

"We weren't gonna leave you in some kookie children of the corn camp. Besides, I kind of owe you after that whole money clip thing."

"Yeah, we haven't dealt with that yet," Kie acknowledged.

"Yeah," JJ sighed, "Look I know it wasn't, like, cool or anything. And I know I said I wasn't sorry, but, like, I am, and I wasn't going to use it. I just took it to be a dick."

"I know. Despite some of the stupid things you do you're one of the smartest people I know JJ. You have a bright future; you just have to stop thinking you don't."

"God, you sound like a fortune cookie."

"Shut up," she laughed, shoving his shoulder, "You know I love you."

"Uh," he hesitated, looking at Coral.

Snorting, Kie shoved him again, "Not like she loves you, Dufus. You guys are my best friends, and after what I did to Coral last year, I want you to know I'll always be there for you guys."

"You really hurt her."

"I know and the worst part is that I didn't even realize it. What kind of friend did that make me? I promised myself I'd be better especially after she forgave me so easily for being self-absorbed."

"She understood it. She knew you were the little minnow surrounded by the Kook sharks."

"It still doesn't make it right that I basically ghosted her for Sarah."

"Well, if it's any help without you I doubt we'd be together."

"How so?" she questioned.

"I'm not stupid, as you stated earlier. She only turned to me because you weren't around. She was lonely and I was there," he replied.

Blinking, Kie slowly shook her head, "Maybe that was the reason at first, but she genuinely loves you, JJ."

"I know and I love her too. I have since we were nine years old, but it makes me wonder if we'd be us if things had been different."

"Things happen for a reason," Kie replied, "And maybe it would've taken longer for her to figure it out had things been different, but she would've eventually because you guys were meant to be together. Where's this coming from JJ? Are you still hung up on not being good enough for her or something?"

"She told you about that?"

"She tells me everything," Kie shrugged, "Including the things I don't want to know," she laughed looking at him pointedly.

Humming, he smiled, "The sex is good."

"Oh God, shut up!"

"I'm just saying," he shrugged.

"Anyway, get out of your head. Get out of your dad's head. Get out of her dad's head. Heck, get out of John B's head and just make her happy! The only thing that matters is you and her."