The Cross 2 Part 59

"Awe, shit!  The tide!" John B exclaimed as he once again slowed the van as he sat looking at the water covering the roadway.  

"How deep is that?"

"I dunno.  The road is gone," John B answered.

"So the tide rose a bit faster then I thought it would," JJ remarked, "Uh, John B, how high are the spark plugs?"

"They're good.  We're fine."

"How high are they?" both Pope and JJ asked at the same time.

"Uh, just above the taillight."

"Okay, so that's, what, three feet?" Pope surmised.  "Yeah, like three feet," JJ agreed.

"That water can't be three feet," Coral said, looking over JJ's shoulder out the front window.

"Then there should be no problem," John B declared.

"Oh yeah no problem.  She'll make it.  We're fine," JJ said, nodding.

"Okay, ladies and gentlemen fasten your seatbelts," John B told them as he backed up, "And hold onto something.  We're going into hyperdrive," he said before punching the gas.

"I'm gonna say a quick prayer," JJ announced as he crossed himself.

"We're okay.  We're okay.  We're gonna make it," Coral repeated to herself as the others shouted encouragement to John B.

"Oh my God!" Sarah screamed as the Twinkie slid and veered off the road sputtering to a stop as it was submerged into the water on the side of the road.

"I think we miscalculated."

"You think?" Coral responded rolling her eyes at Pope.

"I knew I should've driven," JJ remarked, opening his door and jumping out into the knee deep water.

Following him out John B told Coral to get into the driver's seat as he, JJ, and Pope went to the front to try and push the van out of the water and back onto the dry part of the road.

"It's not budging," Kie stated from where she stood in the water.

"Okay, maybe we can walk from here," Pope suggested.

"And leave the Twinkie?  The tides coming in," John B pointed out.

"So what are we supposed to do?"

"Not stay here," JJ declared.

"I can take my dad's truck," Kie volunteered.

"Kie, are you sure?"

"How much worse can it get, you know?" she responded with a shrug.

"We need something to pull her out," JJ said. 

"There's a winch at the Chateau," Coral reminded him, "It's only like two miles.  Kie and I can go."

"I'll go with you," JJ decided, taking her hand.