The Phantom 2 Part 43

As JJ and Pope worked to get the boat into the water Kie used the first aid kit from the boat to clean up Coral's head, "John B isn't even here yet," she remarked, "Do you think he got caught?"

Shrugging, Coral winced at the sting from the alcohol wipe, "I don't know, but we'll stay here all night in case he shows," she replied, as Kie finished playing nurse by putting a band-aid over her cut.  

Standing Coral thanked her before taking the first aid kit and jumping back into the boat with JJ who was storing the box of food, "You all good?" he asked, glancing at her as she put the kit away.

"Yep, is everything ready here?" she asked as Pope walked down the dock with two gas cans handing them off to JJ.  "We are now," he answered storing the cans on the boat.

"Now all we need is John B," Pope stated.  

"He'll be here," JJ said plopping down on the captain's chair and guiding Coral to his lap.

Hearing thunder rumbling Coral looked up at the sky, "That doesn't sound ominous," she mumbled as he squeezed her tighter. 

"I put some things in my bag for you," he whispered into her ear, pointing to his bag sitting on the seat next to them, "You have to go with him, Baby Girl."

Pressing her lips together she curled up into his lap pressing her face into his neck, "I know."

Holding her tighter they stayed that way till Kie eventually huffed stomping down the dock, "It's been almost an hour.  I'm starting to get worried," she declared.

Hearing approaching sirens Coral jumped off JJ's lap as he too stood while Pope ran down the dock to where Kie stood.  Seeing the Kildaire county police jeep coming around the corner JJ swore.

Until John B emerged from the drivers seat.

"Dude, no effing way," Pope said.

"Umm, I'm sorry, what?" Kie questioned.

"You've gotta be kidding me," JJ said, rolling his eyes.

"Care to explain?"

Smiling at his sister John B shrugged, "Shoupe let me take it for a spin," he answered walking down the dock and hugging Kie.  

"Yeah that's believable," Coral retorted. 

"Alright well we did it.  The Phantom's ready.  Plenty of food and gas," JJ said throwing the keys to him as John B stepped from the dock onto the bow of the boat.

"Wait, wait, where's Sarah?" he asked looking around. 

"We haven't seen her since last night," Kie told him. 

"We got separated in the swamp earlier.  She said she'd meet me here," he told them, "I'm not leaving without her," he declared.

"John B, look at me.  I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time.  The whole of Kildaire is coming for you and for Coral.  You guys need to go," JJ told him.

"You're not staying?"

Blinking up at her brother she shook her head before turning and throwing herself at JJ, "I don't want to go.  I don't want to leave you," she cried.

"It's only for a little while."

"Two months and we'll meet you in Mexico," Pope spoke up before looking at John B, "There's a storm coming in from the South so you've gotta head North.  Once it makes landfall you should be able to skirt around it and then head South.  Go for Dismal Swamp," he instructed, "Then cross the border at Brownsville."