HEADACHES

Before my eyes open I reach across for Amity, my hand is met with cold sheet. I frown, opening my eyes and seeing the empty space where she should be. There is a note. 

Gone to see Rossi, be back later

The message is blunt, lust had overtaken anger last night but now the haze was gone she was angry at me once again. I sigh, reaching over and crumpling the paper before sliding out of bed. I pad downstairs and pick up Atticus, scratching under his neck and smiling as he leans into my hand. 

I make my way into the kitchen, placing him on the floor beside his water bowl and the heading to the fridge to make some breakfast. I roll my shoulders back as I start on the pancakes. There is a dull tight pain in my forehead and I feel it tightening with each blink. I find some Advil whilst I wait for the last pancake and head to the living room. 

I sit on the couch, flick through the channels until I find a documentary on black holes. I mindlessly pick at my breakfast as I watch the screen, but my brain is with Amity, working and reworking what I could have and should have done. My head aches more. 

I go and get dressed, slide on my sunglasses and put the lead on Atticus. The sun makes my head feel tighter but the fresh air relieves it. I walk around the block a few times, smiling and talking to the neighbours. Many kids run up and get excited over the puppy, I stop a few times to let people stroke him and then head back. I'm almost home when I notice a tall dark haired figure in the next door neighbours front yard. He's shirtless and watering the plants humming a tune I don't recognise. I know instantly this is Damon. 

Just as I contemplate walking past he glances up and smiles at me. 

"Hey, are you Spencer?" he says, putting down the hose and coming over to the gate. This guy had the same presence as Derek, handsome and knows it, but not too much. He is the type of guy people had on their bedroom walls, his chest alone made me feel inferior. The headache that was waining is back again. 

"I am, you must be Damon, right?" I put out my hand for him to shake and he does. He shakes my hand firmly but not crushing: confident but not intimidated. Did I want him to be? 

"Yeah, I got to meet Amity the other day, she's great. She's told me a lot about you." He smiles to reveal rows of straight white teeth. My grip tightens on the leash. "She said you're in the FBI, thats cool."

"I suppose it is, Amity said you're an artist?"

"Animation, yeah, I just spent two months in Japan studying anime and stuff."

"How can you call my job cool?" I reply, Atticus pulls on the lead. "I gotta get him some water, but it was nice meeting you."

"You too bro, talk to you later." he turns around and continues his tending. I allow Atticus to pull our way back home. 

I potter around the house for the rest of the day, ignoring the pile of files I know I should go through. I try to ignore the pain thats intensifying in my head. Its early evening when I hear a car roll up. I glance through the window and see its Rossi's. 

Amity enters sheepishly, the look she gives me is a mix of anger and something else. She mumbles something about a drink and heads to the kitchen. Rossi glances at me with a look that makes my jaw tighten. 

"Reid," he starts, walking over to me. 

"I know, I'm an idiot, I don't know why I kept it from her, okay?" I interrupt him. I feel my eyes well up and then blink them back.

"Reid, I know this is hard for you, but imagine how hard it is for her too. Its hard for all of us, but you have to do whats best for her." I nod, wincing as a shooting pain goes through my head. I take the bridge of my nose between my thumb and forefinger and pinch. "Are you okay?" 

"Just a hedache, I'm fine." I mutter. 

"I've got to go, you go talk to her." Rossi say, placing a hand on my shoulder and trying to smile at me reassuringly. I nod and he goes to the kitchen to say goodbye to Amity. When I hear the front door close I make my way to her. 

She's stood with her back to me, she's wearing one of my sweatshirts and jeans, her hair piled on her head. She backs her glass of water and then puts it in the sink. She then slowly turns to me. 

"I'm still hurt, but I've spent nerly all day with Rossi and Hotch and I want to focus on the trial, we haven't got time for negativity, I spent an hour with Penny, we meditated and I just want to get past this." 

I nod, she steps forward and puts out her hand for me to take. I do, her tiny hand in mine. I pull her closer and wrap my arms around her, placing a kiss on her forehead.

"I love you." I whisper.

"I love you too."

===

"Whoa," I say as I see Amity's hair. She's stripped it back to its natural almost white blonde. Garcia looks pleased with herself, circling her, pinning up the odd tendril to the braided hairstyle. 

"Do you like it?" Amity asks. 

"I do, but you could be bald and I'd like it." I murmur, leaning forward to place a kiss on her lips. 

"Stop it you two, you're gonna give me a toothache." Garcia mutters. I ignore her, placing another lingering kiss on her mouth before placing another on her cheek. I flop down onto the couch, kick off my shoes and put my feet on the coffee table. Atticus finds his way into my lap. I yawn and lean my head back.

"You can stop getting so comfy, we're babysitting remember." Amity calls me. II lift my had up and open one eye. 

"I forgot." I say, sitting back up. Amity starts bringing in sheets and placing them beside me. "What are these?"

"I promised the boys we'd make a den, and we're making cookies too." she grins, her excitement is infectious. I reach up and pull her on to my lap. 

"Are you joining us for dens and cookies?" I ask Garcia as Amity laughs as I tickle her. 

"No, I have cocktails to drink, men to flirt with." she smiles. "I'll go when the boys get here."

"Okay, what did you guys get up to today?" 

"Apart from the hair? We have been doing trial prep and spent some time with Damon, what a nice boy."

I wince as a shooting pain goes through my head.