EMOTIONAL INVOLVEMENT

REID POV

I clicked the phone off and was astounded to see we'd chatted for over an hour. We talked like nothing was wrong; like she wasn't experiencing the most horrific thing a person can go through. Her voice was almost melodic, caring and concerned despite her situation.

I picked up her photos, the ones we had taken from her house, something I hated doing, it felt lie I was invading their lives. I looked at the most recent pictures, taken over the three days of them moving in. She had almost white blonde hair, which I knew was natural because her mother had the same shade, however Amity had rainbow streaks running through hers. Her hair was long, almost to her waist and she had pale skin. Her light blue eyes were like crystals. She was petite, five-foot three-inches, she had strong cheekbones but the rest of her features soft, her bottom lip was plumper than the top one by almost too much, but not quite.

I frowned. Why was I thinking about her lips? Yes she was pretty, she was probably the most fascinating girl I'd ever seen, but I had to focus, I had to find her and then go on to the next case, like usual.

I read and then re-read the case files, trying to piece things together until my eyes couldn't see straight anymore. I looked at the time. 4AM. I groaned, putting the files on the bedside table along with my glasses, turning my lights off and lying down.

I thought sleep would come easily, seeing as my eyes couldn't physically stay open, but my brain was still buzzing with the conversation I'd had with Amity. I replayed it over and over again. What is wrong with me? I thought back to our nice conversation, I'd told her all about myself, she seemed a lot more at ease with me chatting and he listening, when I asked her a question her answers were short and she'd then ask me another one.

I thought back to what she'd said about him, how he had tried to intimidate her and how she didn't break. Then I thought of something else she said.

"He's been watching me from the day I moved in"

I pick up the scrapbook that has 'New Start' printed on the front in gold pen and begin to look through them, looking in the back for any repeat of person, vehicle, anything.

That's when I start to see it. A black g35 Sedan. It appears in the back of at least four of these photos, and three of them are on separate days. I hurry to get dressed and leave my house, messaging the team on the way, I'll doubt they'll get it right now, but I need to be stood in front of that evidence board.

I raced from my house to the BAU. I upload the pictures to the computer and increase the quality. I search through the images again, trying to find the Sudan just once more.

I find it. I make a mental note of the license plate and put it into the system. Nothing. I'll have to wait for Garcia. I continue to use the information Amity gave me to map the places she could be.

I look up registered bomb shelters, apocalypse survivor shelters, anything similar to that. There were only a few in the vicinity, but I doubted these people had registered the torture chamber.

She could hear water and smell sawdust. The sawdust could just be from the room, but I searched for construction sites near water, none of them near the sites I had marked off for the shelter.

It was less than an hour later that Morgan came running in. I told him everything I knew, told him about what had happened to Amity, but for some reason I didn't tell him that we spoke for an hour about normal things, I told him that I stayed on the phone to her for a little while to calm her down. Why had I said that? I didn't know.

The rest of the team were in by 7am, and Garcia got to work on what I had told her, the rest of the team trying to fit a profile. Less than an hour later Derek's phone rung.