ATHENA

AMITY POV

Sitting in the waiting room waiting to meet the therapist was nerve wracking. Not even two days after I said yes and here I was. I liked the decor. It was stylish and warm and very much like the library at home. I look at the painting opposite me, it looks like a real Frida Kahlo. I'm sat for only three minutes before I get up and walk over to it. It was definitely a painting, it looked authentic. I'd looked at enough to know her work well but I certainly was no expert. 

"My pride and joy," a voice says beside me. I turn to see the woman I'd spend the next two hours with. She has very dark skin, beautiful natural curls. She has a ring in her nose; the same nostril as I do. She's stunning with full lips painted dark purple, heavy curves and endless legs accentuated by expensive looking heels. "All I've ever wanted in life is a real Frida Kahlo and last year I did it and now I'm smug every day."

"I would be too." I admit, nodding.

"Hello Amity, I'm Athena." she walks over to me and shakes my hand. 

"Hello, its nice to meet you." 

"Come with me through to here." 

I follow her into the office and I notice the decor is just as lovely in here. The walls and carpet are cream, there are touches of pale blue dotted around. Athena motions towards a comfy blue armchair. I take a seat and she sits in the one just off to the side. I look around and take in the shelves filled with books. I notice some of my favourites up there. 

"Do you like to read?" Athena asks me. I glance at her and nod. "Anything there you've read?"

"Yeah, I've read quite a lot of them actually; To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, Fight Club," I scan the shelves. "I think I've read most of them." 

"You have impeccable taste." 

I lean back in the chair and look at her properly. She really is beautiful.

"As do you." I reply after a brief pause. 

"Shall we stop pussyfooting around now then, huh?" she smiles at me.

"I think that would be good."

"I've read your case file, I've seen some of the footage from your capture and we're gonna talk through this. If I'm not the person for you then I know many amazing therapists that can help you and we'll work together, okay?"

I nod, but I already have a good feeling. She's relaxed, she seems assertive and warm at the same time. I can tell she's about the no bullshit life and I respect that more than anything. Plus when you have this many book choices in common its worth a shot. 

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me," she tilts her head to the left a little. "Why do you think Spencer wanted you to see someone, and why did you agree."

Get stuck in right away, okay. 

"You've said you've read my file." 

"I want you to say the reason for you being here out loud. I need you to hear it."

I pause, I know she's right. I need to say it.

"Because I was kidnapped a second time by the man who killed my parents, he repeatedly raped and tortured me, forced drugs into me I was there almost a month and he was definitely going to kill me." I take a deep breath. "Then I killed him, I slit his throat and escaped covered in his blood. I had to go through withdrawals and I'm going to have to rebuild myself. Again"

As I finish I feel my breath race a little. Hearing it all out like that, its almost unbelievable. I look at Athena and I'm relieved to see she's not looking at me with sympathy, she's looking at me with... admiration. 

"And you're still standing, you still have a sparkle in your eye, you still took a moment to appreciate my art. You are one of the most resilient people I have met and I've spoken to you for five minutes. I really didn't expect such a light within you after what you've been through. So lets just take a moment to appreciate you, okay?" 

Almost all my instincts are telling me to ignore her, but as I look into her brown eyes, so like Spencer's; warm and honest.  I smile at her, blinking away tears.

"Now, lets get down to it." Athena grins at me.