BABY STEPS

When I step out of the shower on Amity's third day home I hear her music blasting, I know the music helps Amity when she's on her own for a while. I tuck a towel around my waist and open the bathroom door, popping my head around to see Amity. She's stood on the bed, big makeup brush in hand as she sings along to the Amy Winehouse playlist she's put on. She's in a pair of pyjama shorts and a tank top, jumping around, singing dramatically at Atticus. I can't help but watch as she sings and dances her way through two songs before noticing me.

She see's me looking and stops dead before diving under the covers to hide from me. I laugh, heading over and yanking the covers off of her. She pouts at me, her bottom lip sticking out. She rolls closer to the edge of the bed and stands up so she's almost my height. The combination of her being fairly short and my being tall means she only reaches eye-level even on our big bed. I wrap my arms around her waist and press my lips to her forehead. 

There's a knock on the door and I go to take Atticus downstairs to Damon but Amity grabs me.

"I'll go," she says, nonchalantly. I nod, trying not to seem excited or panicked, which I was both. She pats her thigh to get Atticus to follow her and walks to the door. She turns to me and smiles.

"You can eavesdrop if you like." she says before heading out the room and down the stairs. I was happy she said I could listen in, I was nervous for her and nervous about how Damon would react to her. It was an easily triggering time for her and although she was doing amazingly considering I still see her as fragile.

I sit on the trunk in the hallway, just out of sight of the stairs and tilt my head to listen to whats being said. I hear the door open.

"Oh wow, Amity hey." I can hear the initial surprise in his voice but he pulls it back well. "Your hair looks rad as fuck."

I smile, that was the perfect thing to say.

"Cheers Damon, thanks for looking after Atticus by the way." Amity says, her voice is strong and doesn't sound nervous. 

"You don't need to thank me you dork," there's a brief pause. "Would it be stupid to ask how you're doing?"

"No, I'm obviously doing better than I was," she chuckles almost lightheartedly. "But I'm doing well, as well as  I can be I am at the most okay I can be."

"That's good, well, I'm glad you're back Amity, its good to see you."

"You too Damon."

I assume the silence after is them hugging. Just in time Atticus starts to get impatient, knowing he's going for a walk. 

"Okay, I'll see you soon." he leaves and I hear Amity heads back upstairs. I run back in our room and throw myself onto the bed, turning back expectantly. 

"You nosey bugger," she winks at me and I can't help but grin. She climbs over and sort of fits herself in my lap. I wrap myself around her like a cocoon.

"Amity, we need to talk now." I say to her as we're lying on the sofa. Despite every instinct screaming at me not to we had settled watching Maury. I remember Amity telling me trashy television was good for the soul nearer to when we first met. I watch as her face screws up, she knows whats coming. 

"Whats the plan of action then?" she asks, not looking away from the screen. I pause, not quite understanding. "I now you've thought of a whole plan, you wouldn't just come to me, so spill it."

She finally turns to look at me, a small, but worried, smile on her face. 

"I know you probably wont want to talk to me about everything, I know that, and I think a professional would benefit you more. Of course I'm here for you one-hundred percent but Hotch has found an amazing therapist for you, I've looked her up, spoken to her and she seems exactly what you need, I think she'll really help."

"Ok."

"Ok?"

"Yes, okay. I realise I'm doing very well, and that scares me more than being a mess because I feel like maybe my brain is going to betray me but I think a professional will be good. I only went to a few sessions last time because I didn't click with the person and I was too nervous to get someone new. I'll try the person Hotch has lined up and if she doesn't work out then I'll try someone new."

I smile at her coyly.

"From what I hear I think you'll be fine."