ADJUSTING

AMITY POV

I wake up with arms wrapped around me, I don't wake up with a jump like I did when I was captured and in the hospital. I wake up surrounded by the smell of home, the familiar feel of my bed and Spencer. My nose is pressed into his chest and I tilt my head up to look at him. His head is at that weird angle it seems to always find itself in, his lips parted. His slow, steady breathing is so soothing to me.  

I haven't seen him sleep in a very long time, even in the hospital he'd go to sleep after I was and wake up before me, always making sure I'm okay. He looks younger whilst asleep, the smudges under his eyes are a little less than before. I reach up and run my fingers through his mop of messy hair. 

"Spencer," I coo at him. His eyes flutter open, arms drawing me closer on instinct. "Spencer, wake up. I believe I was promised bacon pancakes." 

I hear him giggle as he presses his face against my hair, arms tightening around me even more

"You'll get your bacon pancakes when I say so." he murmurs sleepily, placing a kiss on the top of my head. I giggle, trying to get free from his arms. But he hold me to him. "No, I'm not letting you go Amity Lucas, you must stay here."

He wraps his legs around me, peppering kisses along my neck and shoulder and anywhere else he can reach.  I squeal, my attempts to get away couldn't even be classed as attempts. I pretend to try to get away but I feel myself moving closer to him. 

Atticus wants to join in the play, he jumps on to Spencer and I, barking and yipping, his tail wagging as fast as I've ever seen it. I lean over and rub his stomach, he immediately stops what he's doing to roll onto his back. Spencer and I both rub his belly for him until one of his legs starts twitching. Spencer plants a kiss on my cheek and checks his phone as I carry on playing with Atticus. 

"Hey, so Damon will be over soon to take Atticus for his morning walk," Spencer starts gently. "Would you like to take him down, or do you want me to do it?"

I think about seeing Damon, and all my anxiety signs heighten. I quickly point to Spencer and pull a face.

"You want me to take him down?" reiterates Spencer. My words seemed to have stopped working. I nod. "Are you sure?"

I think about it briefly then nod again. Spencer sends a text and only thirty seconds later there is a knock on the front door. 

"I'm just going to take Atticus to Damon, then I'll start your breakfast, Miss Princess." he leaves with a bow and I can't stop the smile on my face as I throw the covers back and head to the shower. 

I feel slightly anxious at being on my own, I can't shut the door behind me but being in our bathroom calms me. Garcia has stocked up on all my favourite toiletries, on my dressing table there is all new makeup. 

After my shower I smooth my hair down and start applying makeup. I'm still getting used to the short crop, but I am so thankful for Penny getting her hairdresser to sort it out, the awful choppy thing that the monster had left me with. 

I pull on a pair of jeans, a plain pink shirt and fluffy socks. I head downstairs and Spencer is just plating up food. I see chocolate chip pancakes with strawberries and cream, bacon pancakes with sausage and scrambled egg. There are endless juices and, of course, my tea. He looks up at me and smiles and I feel my brain blank for a second. That smile, that goofy little smile was what got me through these weeks of hell. 

"Just in time angel, come here." he reaches over and takes my hand, pulling me to him. He kisses me softly. He presses his lips against my temple then pushes me towards the food. I sit down and dig in. Spencer makes the most perfect pancakes, as I dig into the chocolate chip pancakes he hands me a pot of Nutella. I smear it over a bite of pancake and top it with a strawberry. 

After that its all a blur, the next thing I know both chocolate and bacon pancakes are all gone. I've had two cups of tea, a cup of passion fruit and apple juice and two lots of fruit salad. I was so thin, even with my body dysmorphia I could see that. I was thinner now than at my lowest with anorexia. I was aware and I wanted to change, which was a big breakthrough. I wanted to be well and be happy. 

Spencer watched me eat for a while before digging in. He'd lost  weight too, he was making up for it with me. When we were full and waited for the food to go down a bit he suddenly scooped me up and takes me to the living room, dropping me on the sofa. He sits next to me and moves the hair from my face.

"I've spoken to Hotch, and he agrees, I'm going to take a while off work, a few months maybe," I open my mouth and he holds his hand up so I keep quiet. "its for both of us, I want to be here."

"Okay."

"Okay? That's it, no argument?"

"No argument, okay. I love you."

"I love you too."