Chapter 54

Samie and Hermione made up because Samie just doesn't want any more confrontations. She and Hermione are still friends well more on acquaintances because Hermione is one of Harry's friends, so they agreed to be civil. Samie knew that Hermione didn't mean to insult but it still hurt and annoyed Samie since they just fought about it recently.

Samie and Draco are at Severus' quarters, talking about everything and nothing. Severus was sitting in his armchair, reading the Prophet. An owl suddenly interrupted their peaceful environment. 

It was Draco's owl. The owl swept down and handed Draco his letter. 

"Who is it from?" Samie asked

Draco gently took the mail from his owl and petted him. 

"It's from father!" Draco exclaimed. 

"Uncle Sev!" Draco called for Severus.

"There is no need for shouting Draco. I am literally just right here." Severus scolded.

Draco blushed a bit but continued, "Do you have any owl treats?"

"It is stored in that pouch by the window." Severus pointed.

"Thanks," Draco said. 

 After Draco fed his owl, he opened the letter.

"What's it say?" Samie asked.

"It's about Hagrid's bird," Draco said while reading.

Samie was now interested.

"Why?" Sammie asked.

Draco then smirked, "Well, look at that. Father got it approved."

Samie looked at Draco confused, "Got what approved, D?"

Severus was just watching them. He already assumed what it was. He knew it wouldn't go well.

"The trial! The beast would be sentenced to death." Draco grinned.

Samie was shocked. She didn't know what to feel. She was terrified of Buckbeak but she doesn't want it dead.

"Does it really need to die?" She asked hesitantly.

Draco looked at her as if she grew another head, "Of course, that thing was dangerous S. It almost got my head."

"But you kinda provoked it D.," Samie said slowly.

 "Are you really blaming me right now?" Draco asked in disbelief.

"NO! It's just, I like Hagrid. He would be destroyed if the bird will die." Samie quickly explained.

"Well, he should train it better then," Draco replied 

"But why does it have to be killed then? Can't Professor Hagrid just train it more?" Samie asked Draco.

Draco didn't know what to say so he just says what was the first thing he thought, "Why are you even defending it?! If you didn't remember, you were the one who was afraid of it."

"I was and still am afraid of it but it doesn't mean I want it to die!" Samie was now getting frustrated.

"Did you forget that thing almost killed me!?" Draco too was getting annoyed.

"You did provoke it." Samie said smugly.

Draco gasp in shock, "Are you really blaming the victim?! If you have forgotten, I did that for you!"

"Of course I haven't forgotten! I was grateful you tried to comfort me even if the execution was terrible. You don't have to be happy that it will die!"

"Oh you little sh-" Draco started but was cut off by Severus.

Severus had got enough of the banter so he shut them up.

"Enough!"

Both children froze and looked at Severus. 

"Draco, Samie wants you to understand that she does not want the bird to die even if it scared her. She doesn't blame you. She just wants to understand why the trial needed to be done." Severus said.

Samie looked at Draco smugly but it vanished when Severus looked at her.

"Samie, Draco has the right to feel relieved that the trial approved. That hippogriff did hurt him, whether it's his fault or not. I want you to understand that, yes Draco did provoke the bird but Hagrid should have handled it well. It's both Draco and Hagrid's fault."

Now it's Draco's turn to be smug.

"But why would it be Hagrid's fault? He did warn us."

"Hagrid should have placed safety precautions. Anything can happen in his class. Just like in my class, if any student gets harmed in my classroom it is mine and the student's fault. It's the student's fault because he/she did not follow my instruction. And it is my fault for not watching/observing the student well. Why do you think I'm very strict in my classroom? One wrong move and my classroom will be blown up by dunderheads."

Samie understood what Severus said but still can't understand why the bird needs to die.

"Can't you convince uncle Luci not to get the bird killed?" Samie asked her father.

Severus smiled sadly. "I can't and won't convince him."

"Why?" Samie whined 

"Just like me, Lucius is a father. His son was hurt by the hippogriff and his goddaughter was almost injured. He does not want that to happen again. I want you to understand that we just want you to be safe. You might not like how we do it but know that we would do everything in our power to keep our children safe and happy." Severus looked at both Samie and Draco.

"Now enough of you two fighting, I hope you both understand each other's point of view. Now get out of here and do whatever kids do these days." Severus kicked them out of his quarters.

Draco and Samie were walking in the hallway. Draco looked at Samie and smiled, "Sorry for being a brat." 

Samie smiled and said, "Sorry for making you feel bad."

Draco raised his hand for her to shake, "Friends?"

 but Samie just rolled her eyes at her and hugged him.

 Draco was blushing madly. It's been an ongoing joke that Draco doesn't like getting hugs so Samie tries her best to hug Draco just to tease him. He didn't know when he started to get conscious of Samie being a girl. All his life, He always treated her like a little sister. And now he can't seem to understand what he's feeling. For the first time, he doesn't want the hug to end so he just smiled and savored the feeling.

So I hope you like that chapter. I notice that most of you wanted Samie and Draco to be a thing but I'm still not sure so I just dabbled a bit in this chapter. If you noticed the other chapters, I tried to pair Samie with Blaise just to see if it gets anywhere. I just want you to remember that this is not a romance-centered book. This is more on family. 

If Samie does get a pair, who would you like for her to be with?