Chapter Nineteen

Season Two Episode Eight: The Blade of Marmora

"Coran, how soon until we can get to the Blade of Marmora's base?" Shiro asked.

"Based on the coordinates Ulaz gave us, we should be there in a few doboshes."

"I can't wait to see it," Pidge asked, her eyes wide and dreamy. "I mean, they were able to fold space-time, and that was just an outpost!"

Hunk started rambling about food, making Lance complain he was hungry.

"The base is in range," Coran said after a bit.

"Take us in slowly," Shiro said.

"Thag might prove the tiniest bit of a challenge."

The base ended up being between two black holes, and right next to a star. Everyone began talking about it, and Hunk didn't even want want go in before Keith snapped.

"We have to do this!" he said. "This is the whole reason we came out here! There's no other option."

Millie put a hand on his shoulder. "Calm down." He huffed.

"Identify yourself," a robotic voice demanded.

"Open a hailing frequency, Coran," Shiro commanded. Coran did just that. "We are the Paladins of Voltron, sent here by Ulaz."

There was silence.

"Three may enter. Come unarmed." The screen stopped showing the transmission.

"Why would they insist we come unarmed?" Allura asked. "Shiro, this doesn't feel right."

"We've come too far to turn back now," Shiro said.

"They just sent us a route to the base, but we'll have to move quickly," Ciran explained. "Because of the solar flares, it's only open for another Varga." The screen showed a path with a blinking icon on top of it. "Then it'll be closed for two Quintants."

"They're gonna close it for two years?" Hunk asked.

"Days, Hunk," Millie reminded him.

"Oh."

Lance smirked. "So, any thoughts on who's gonna join you on this mission?" he asked Shiro. "I'm thinking it's gonna get a little hot, so you might need someone who can stay cool."

"You're right. Keith, come with me."

"What?! Well am I at least gonna be the third person?"

"Nope, we need Millie," Shiro said.

"What? Why me?" Millie asked.

"You're our strategist," Shiro explained. "If they want to hear our plans you would be needed to go over it with them."

"Sounds good enough to me," Millie shrugged.

"We haven't yet severed Zarkon's link with the black lion, so it needs to stay here," Shiro announced. "Keith and Millie's lions would both be able to get through the path, but only the Red Lion could withstand getting that close to the sun. We'll take Keith's lion."

"The course to the base will be quite treacherous, to say the least," Coran said. "You're walking a razor's edge between the gravitational pull of the black holes and the sun. One false move and you'll either be crushed into infinity or burnt to a crisp."

"No pressure, though," Millie rolled her eyes.

The three got into the red lion, setting off on the path shown to them by the Blade of Marmora computer.

"Is everything okay?" Shiro asked Keith.

"I'm fine," he said.

"You kind of blew up at everyone back there. You'll have to learn to control your emotions if you're gonna lead this group one day."