Prologue

The girl ran back to her home, slamming the door shut and leaning against it as she clutched her Pokéball against her chest, panting heavily from all the running she did. She had lost the grunts long ago, but she didn't dare stop running.

She had been attacked by two grunts on her way back to the store, who proceeded to try and snatch her precious Luxio, Dallas away from her. It was useless, of course, but she was always scared that something would happen to her precious Pokémon.

It was one of the only things the sixteen-year-old had to remember her past life. The one she ran away from three years prior, but ultimately ended up regretting.

She released her partner from the confines of its small capsule, watching as the bright red beam flew together to create the form of her Luxio. She threw her arms around the spark pokémon, grateful to be able to keep her partner for another day.

"We'll go out to train more tomorrow. I'll make sure that nothing ever happens to you," the girl said, allowing a couple tears to fall down her face. Dallas purred, trying to cheer up his owner as he felt a small drop land on its back, pushing down the fur where it had hit.

---

A loud, quick crack rang throughout the previously silent night, disrupting the peace and leaving a half-asleep seventeen-year-old Millie fully awake. The loud sound had caused her trusty Luxray to jump onto the rickety bed, causing it to groan under the sudden weight.

Millie sighed, knowing that her partner would have trouble falling asleep on his own with all the thunder roaring at random intervals throughout the night.

"C'mere, buddy," Millie told Dallas, patting the spot next to her. The Luxray gladly accepted the invitation, crawling over and laying his head between his two paws as he once again attempted to get some rest.

Millie wrapped an arm around Luxray, her other arm comfily placed under the pillow that her head was resting upon, and gently stroked the lion's blue fur. The two relaxed, listening to the loud sound of the rain, which violently threw each drop against the rather large window that the queen-sized bed was positioned under.

Millie was once again dozing off when she suddenly heard a lot of frantic squealling. Annoyed, yet curious, the black-haired girl decided to investigate what was making so much noise. Her Luxray followed her though the small shack just as he always did, and they found themselves at the front door in no time.

Dallas positioned himself close to the ground, ready to pounce if anything had come to attack Millie. The girl, however, was fully ready to defend herself or even be the one to attack whatever it was that had woken her up, which was something that only Dallas would be as to do without being in immediate danger.

And even then it was sorta iffy.

Millie opened the door, looking around to try and find whatever it was that had the guts to wake her. After not finding anything, she was prepared to close the door, only to look down and spot a small, brown and white creature trying to shelter itself from the rain as much as it could under the leaky gutter.

The poor Eevee was shaking from being in the freezing rain, and Millie felt herself automatically feel sympathy for the small creature. Sure, the girl had become pretty cold towards other people, but she always had a soft spot for any animal, no matter what kind it was.

Millie bent over and scooped the small creature into her arms, taking the shivering thing inside. The Eevee seemed somewhat surprised, but quickly gave in, snuggling deeper into the warmth of Millie's embrace as Millie took it to the kitchen.

She grabbed a dish towel and set the Eevee on the counter, drying it off to the best of her abilities. It was still shivering, but it wasn't drenched. Millie wrapped the tiny feline-like Pokémon in the towel and carried it to her bedroom, laying down with the small creature.

Dallas joined them and Millie unwrapped Eevee, allowing the Pokémon to find a comfortable place on the bed. It finally settled on laying between Dallas and Millie, allowing itself to peacefully doze off, finally feeling like it finally had a home despite not being there for long.

Millie pulled the blanket up on all of them and cuddled the small Eevee, smiling softly to herself as she felt the evolution pokémon stop shivering. The Eevee's breathing slowed down as it fell asleep, so Millie finally allowed herself to fall asleep.

---

"Well, Scout," Millie started, talking to the Eevee she had found the might before, "are you ready to start training?" she asked.

The Eevee ran excitedly around her feet, jumping up every once in a while. Millie's Luxray seemed a little annoyed as the Eevee would run over and try and get him to play every so often, but he was mainly excited to see how the Eevee would do.

Millie and her two Pokémon walked through the barren desert, trying to find a Pokémon to test out the Eevee's skills. It only took a couple minutes before a Diglett appeared from the ground, and Millie took the chance.

"Scout, use Quick Attack!" Millie yelled, pointing a finger at the Diglett. Scout did as she was told and took off in the direction of the mole pokémon.

The Diglett looked over to see the tan and white streak flying towards them, and didn't have any time to get out of the way before the streak got to it.

"Okay, that's useful," Millie said to Dallas.

Millie watched as the Diglett quickly regained its senses. It looked over to Scout, angry that the Eevee would attack it, and went underground. The girl realised what was happening, but it was too late, because the Diglett had already popped back up under Eevee, sending the Pokémon into the air.

Scout yelped in fear, but not much damage had been done to her, thankfully, and she was able to quickly get back up. She shook the dust off of her pelt and stood her ground, ready for the Diglett's next move, and waiting for Millie to call out a command.

"Tackle!" Millie told the Eevee. Scout pounced at the Diglett, but it was ready for the attack, quickly going back down into its tunnel.

Scout landed on the ground but stood up, looking around for the mole. She stuck her head in the tunnel, looking around to see if maybe she could see the Pokémon.

"Scout, watch out!" Millie called to her Eevee. The Eevee pulled her head out of the ground just in time to be hit in the stomach but another attack.

Millie glared at the Diglett. She knew that it was only defending itself, so she tried to stay calm, but it didn't seem to be working.

"Dallas, use roar," she told her Luxray, done with seeing her new Pokémon getting beat up. Dallas happily obliged, releasing a deep, powerful roar. The Diglett seemed to jump from the sudden loud noise before returning to it's tunnel for good.

Millie turned to look at Scout, who was laying on in ground in disappointment. Millie called the small Eevee over, but it wouldn't budge. She wouldn't even look at the two.

"C'mon, Scout. We'll find something a bit easier for you to train with," Millie told Scout. The Eevee finally got up and began to follow Millie and Dallas.

Millie looked over, feeling sad when she saw her Eevee's ears droop in sadness. It was clear that Scout was feeling upset about Dallas having to end the battle.

"Hey," Millie said, crouching down next to her Eevee. Scout looked up to meet Millie's eyes, seeing her with a small smile. "It's no big deal, alright? You'll get there eventually."

Dallas purred to show his agreement to Millie's statement. The Luxray walked over and gave the smaller feline-like Pokémon a lick on the forehead, showing his support.

"C'mon," Millie said, motioning for her two Pokémon to follow her again. "You two are still up for more training, right?"

Eevee's ears pricked up, suddenly feeling better as she trotted off after her trainer. Dallas waited a bit before following after them, making sure that Eevee wouldn't fall behind.