Chapter Thirty Nine

Season Six Episode Four: The Colony

Everyone watched from the bridge as Allura and Lotor called out system checks, getting ready to fly into the quintessence field should everything go according to plan.

"Okay, I can't be the only one that sees that this is completely nuts, right?" Hunk asked. Millie shook her head from where she sat, recovering from a small bought of nausea and dizziness. "I mean, just getting in there is a long shit and then they have to make it out again?"

"I agree with Hunk," Coran said, pouting. "This plan is a foolhardy and unnecessary risk."

"I don't know," Pidge said. "We've traveled through the quintessence field to another reality before. This isn't theoretical physics, mathematically we know it's possible."

"Well, it is hard to argue with math," Coran said. "Believe me, I've tried."

"But even if they do reach the quintessence field, then what?" Lance asked. "Last time anyone went in there it turned Zarkon evil."

"Lance makes a fine point! Take that, math!"

"Zarkon fell prey to his own evil instincts," Shiro explained. "The quintessence field didn't create them, it revealed them."

Allura and Lotor had apparently deemed themselves ready, seeing as they flew off into space towards the portal that would take them to the quintessence field. Coran muttered a temporary goodbye while Lance wished Allura a safe trip.

"T-minus ten ticks to gate entry," Coran said, beginning the countdown. It seemed to have worked, with both people in the ship disappearing.

Everyone was silent for a moment, waiting to see if it worked when an alarm began going off.

"What is that?" Hunk asked.

"I've got an incoming craft," Coran said.

"Shields up," Shiro commanded. "And pull it up on screen."

Coran casped as the craft showed up on screen, looking exactly like the pods in the bay. "It can't be," he said. "It's an Altean pod! A really old one!"

"What's it doing out here?" Lance asked.

"Let's find out," Shiro said. He sent a message to the pod, demanding they identify themself and Keith appeared on the screen.

"Shiro, it's Keith," he said.

"Keith! Are you okay?" Shiro asked.

"Where have you been?" Pidge asked.

"And how did you get your hands on that pod?" Coran asked.

"Does he look bugger to you guys?" Lance asked. "He's bigger, right?"

Lance was definitely right. Keith looked older without being able to explain how.

"Where's Lotor?" Keith asked.

"He's in the quintessence field," Hunk said.

Keith Landes the pod in the bay, getting out and having Millie immediately run up to him, wrapping her arms around him to give give a hug which he seemed to happily return.

"Keith, it's so good to see you," Shiro said.

"Hang on," Lance said, stepping forwards. "How do we know you're the real Keith and not his bigger, cooler, grizzled older brother?"

"I don't have time for this, Lance," Keith huffed. He took Millie's hand, beginning to lead her along to join the rest of the Paladins.

"Hey everybody, Keith's back!" Lance said.