Chapter Twenty Six

Season Three Episode Three: The Hunted

The others had joined them, and Keith led them to a planet, where Pidge explained that Lotor's ship was on the other side and they would be within attack range in an hour.

"Good," Keith said. "Hold formation."

Everyone flew around, Allura bumping into Hunk.

"Apologies Hunk!" Allura quickly said.

"Is attacking right now really a good idea?" Hunk asked. "Y'know, since not everyone is exactly used to their lions." Allura looked away, obviously upset.

"You can blame our hot-headed leader for that one," Lance muttered.

"First you want me to lead, and then you complain about how I do it." Keith took a deep breath. "Prince Lotor is the heir to the Galra throne. We could end his reign right now."

Lance rolled his eyes and flew back so he was next to Allura and Blue. "You doing okay in Blue?" he asked.

"I'm fine," she insisted. "I've been flying the castle for half my life. I just need a few ticks to adjust to the lion." She was hunched over slightly and tense, and Millie felt bad.

"Allura, the Lions aren't like flying the castle," Millie reminded her. "They're sentient and need respect and teamwork, not just commands like the castle."

"And how would you know anything about flying the castle?"

Millie sighed. "Fine. Okay."

"We're going in," Keith warned. They were about to fly in when Keith announced there was movement.

"So much for the element of surprise," Lance muttered.

A small fighter unlike the rest flew out of the ship.

"It's just a single fighter," Hunk said. "Where's the rest of them?"

"Probably scrambling as we speak," Keith said. "Let's take it out." He flew towards the fighter before Lance ran into him. "Lance, what are you doing?!"

"Sorry! Red here is a lot faster than I'm used to!" There was a second of silence. "Where's that fighter go?"

Keith started flying away as the fighter began shooting at him. "I can't shake him," he announced. "Someone get this fighter off my tail."

"Coming in on your six," Pidge said, her Allura and Hunk all flying after him and shooting at the fighter. The fighter moved out of the way, causing the laser to hit Keith instead.

"Allura!" Keith yelled.

"I'm sorry, Keith!"

"Does this thing have brakes?" Lance asked, yelling as he shot by.

Allura was determined to shoot the fighter, and the fighter instead baited her into running into Hunk.

"What's up with this guy?" Lance asked. "He's playing us against ourselves."

"It's gotta be Lotor," Millie said. "It's too good to be a sentry."

"You okay Allura?" Hunk asked.

"I'm fine but these controls aren't working like I want them to, not like the castle," she responded. "What's wrong with you, lion?! Do as I command! Move!"

"Allura, you're not commanding it, you're working together, remember?" Millie reminded her. "Keith, maybe this wasn't such a great idea."

"Keith, what should we do?" Pidge asked.

"How about this? Everyone stay out of my way!"

"Great. Great leadership," Lance said sarcastically.

Keith continued trying to shoot and chase after Lotor, eventually declaring that it wasn't working and they needed to form Voltron. Which would have been a great idea, but they had gone over the exact same thing two seasons ago where they couldn't form Voltron because of the fact that the bond between everyone wasn't strong enough.

The fighter left, and Hunk asked if they should call it quits, but Keith insisted they push on anyways.

"Keith, we need to regroup. We can't form Voltron and obviously we need it with this guy," Millie said.

"We're not going back until Lotor is gone!"

They were lured to a planet called Thasyrix, which Pidge explained had dense gasses surrounding it that would disrupt signals, and Millie stopped her lion.

"Keith, if we go in there we're blind and deaf," she said. "It's too dangerous especially when half our team is still getting used to their lions."

They flew in anyways, Millie hesitantly following after and rolling her eyes when all communications went offline. She backed up to stay with Allura, who was falling behind, but the fog was so thick that she couldn't see in front of her and crashed into a rock spike, separating herself from the team.

"God," She muttered. "This was a bad idea."

She got her lion upright, looking around but being unable to see more than a few feet in front of her. She used her lion to detect the gasses around her, finding that at least one of them was explosive if she were to fire any of her lasers, and also that there was no oxygen.

"I have no idea where we are, girl," she sighed, sitting back as she began flying up, stopping when she saw Lotor's cruiser flying around. She sunk back down, luckily not getting caught.

She landed back on the ground, letting out a sigh of relief. She let Dallas out, petting through his fur as a way to stay calm. "We're in for a long stay, bud, so you better get comfortable.

-☆-☆-☆-

She'd stayed in place so long her lion was basically a statue, unwilling to move in case it made it harder for her to be found.

Eventually, everyone made it to her, Allura having connected with her lion and used echolocation to find everyone.

"I found a way out of here," she said. "But wait a tick, we have company. It looks like Lotor called for backup."

"We need to form Voltron," Keith said, groaning.

"But we were unable to form Voltron the last time we tried," Allura said.

"We have to keep trying," Keith said. "We may have come here fragmented and unorganized, but the only way we're getting out of here is if we work together. This is our team. Shiro believed in us, and we have to believe in ourselves. Who's with me?" Everyone cheered.

They formed Voltron, flying up and starting to destroy cruisers and fighters.

"Hunk, I'm a leg!" Allura said excitedly.

"Pretty cool, right?"

They formed their shield, blocking a blast from an ion cannon and redirecting it so it destroyed multiple fighters and a cruiser. They continued to destroy a couple ships before flying away.

"Lotor's getting away," Pidge said. "Should we go after him?"

"No," Keith said. "Pushing the team too hard is what got us in this mess in the first place. We'll face him again when we're ready."

"Roger that, leader," Millie said.

They headed back to the castle.