Chapter Twenty Five

Season Three Episode Two: Red Paladin

"I wish Shiro were here to tell us how to go on without him..."

Everyone was gathered in the lounge, people and Pokémon spread around as everyone brainstormed ways to reform Voltron.

Pidge sat up straighter. "Allura, when we came here you told me I would pilot the green Lion and I thought there was no way," she said. "And then Hunk flew the yellow lion and he's not even a pilot. In fact, you told everyone who would pilot each lion."

"Yeah, how did you do that?" Hunk asked. "Did we ever find out how you did that? Can you do that now?"

"Sadly, no. When you arrived at the castle, I immediately recognized the special qualities in each of you," Allura explained. "I don't know how to search the entire universe for a new Paladin."

Everyone was silent for a minute.

"Keith, you piloted the Black Lion when you saved Shiro, maybe you're the one," Coran suggested.

"Keith would be the worst leader of Voltron!" Lance exclaimed.

"Yeah, we all have our thing," Pidge said. "Keith's the loner, I'm the brain, Hunk's the nice one, Allura's the decision maker, Coran's the wise old guy, Lance is the goofball, and Millie's the only one with her head on straight."

"What? I'm not the goofball! I'm more like the cool ninja sharpshooter!"

Keith scoffed jokingly. "Are you kidding?"

Lance leapt to his feet, ready to argue. "I'm being completely serious when I say I do not want you to lead me anywhere!"

"I dobt want to be the leader! That's just what Shiro wanted!" His eyes went wide and he looked away, everyone being silent for a moment.

"What are you talking about?" Hunk asked.

"Shiro wanted you to be his successor, didn't he?" Pidge asked. Keith didn't respond.

"Well I never heard Shiro say that, and how convenient that you're bringing it up now, when Shiro's gone!" Lance yelled.

"Lance," Millie said. "Calm down. Keith wouldn't lie about something this big, and he doesn't even want to pilot the lion. I know Keith is telling the truth. They had a conversation about it in front of me."

Keith stepped away from the wall he was leaning against. "You want the job so badly? Have it!"

"Now hang on, I think I've called head from the very beginning," Hunk said.

"What about me?" Pidge asked. "I'm the one who picked up on the radio waves that led us to Voltron in the first place!"

"Are you guys forgetting something?" Millie asked. Everyone looked at her weird. "None of you can pilot the Black Lion if it doesnt doesn't you as it's Paladin," she said. "I say we can all take a turn in the Black Lion, and see if any of us are deemed right for it."

Everyone murmured amongst themselves and they were off to the hangar, where everyone tried out the black lion, hoping to be accepted by it.

Allura was first, and then it was Pidge's turn. Millie was right before Keith, entering the lion and sitting on the seat.

"Alright, bud, let's see how we work together," she said, rolled her shoulders back and cracking her knuckles quick before grabbing the controls. A few minutes had passed, and nothing happened so Millie left the lion, patting Keith on the shoulder as he passes her to get into the lion."

Almost immediately did the lion power up, getting up into a standing position before sitting and letting Keith out.

"I'm proud of you, Keith," Allura said. "I wish you were getting the job under better circumstances, but congratulations." Everyone echoed her congrats.