Chapter Twenty Four

Season Three Episode One: Changing of the Guard

The loss of Shiro had hit everyone hard, but it had arguably hurt Keith the worst. He went out everyday, scouring the remains of the fight for any sign of Shiro, and he had started to get more and more attached to his newly-evolved Mightyena, to the point where he barely ever put him back in his Pokéball, saying he reminded him too much of Shiro to abandon.

Millie, however, was looking at herself I'm the mirror, preparing for a diplomatic dinner with the residents of a newly independent planet. She had cut her hair, giving herself a choppy bob and sideswept bangs, and had traded her normal jacket for a loose cropped white bomber jacket with black details. Her grey shirt and ripped jeans stayed the same.

She went to join the others at the lounge before the dinner, sitting down on the couch and picking up Scout, Dallas laying on the floor by her feet and Chimera watching Dallas before copying him.

"It may be difficult for us all to accept, but it is time to think about finding a new pilot for the black lion," Allura said. Everyone looked at her.

"No!" Keith snapped. "I'm gonna find him! Shiro is one of the only people who never gave up on me, I won't give up on him."

Keith left, everyone looking down and Millie sighing as she did so.

-☆-☆-☆-

The dinner was going well. Kolivan was discussing the rebellion and the coalition, up until one of them asked to see Voltron.

Everyone sort of glanced at each other.

"We can't form Voltron right now," Millie confessed. "Our Black Paladin, Shiro, has disappeared, but we are going to start searching for a new Paladin soon, we all just need some time to grieve properly."

The alien nodded solemnly. "I understand. It's hard when a loved one dissappears," he said. Everyone muttered in agreement.

"We can fly the lions, but Voltron is not happening," Keith said, his arms crossed. "But nothing. Shiro is gone. He is the Black Paladin. Until we find him, there is no Voltron."

"The lion's are still a substantial fighting force, and this castle is also a considerable weapon," Kolivan said, trying to recover from Keith's outburst. "The Blade of Marmora can lead you."

Everyone was quiet until a purple alien with a robotic voice spoke up.

"My people have been enslaved for centuries by people who look exactly like you," they said.

"Yes," the man from Puig said. "Our people have heard the legend of Voltron, how he defeated Zarkon. That is what gave them hope. What are we supposed to tell them now?"

Keith slammed his hands in the table. "Tell them to stand up and fight for themselves! Voltron is gone!"

He stormed out, Millie sighing and getting up to follow him.

"He's right, you know," she said, stopping for a moment in the doorway to turn around and look at everyone. "If you can't or won't fight for yourself, we won't always be able to help. You need to fight for yourselves sometimes."

The aliens all murmurs amongst themselves.

-☆-☆-☆-

She found Keith in his room, petting Mightyena and laying down, his eyes closed and himself looking very frustrated and upset.

"You shouldn't have yelled like that," she said.

"I know..."

"Or stormed out like that."

"I know."

"Or--"

"I know!"

Millie sighed. "Look, I know it's hard without Shiro, and that everyone grieves differently, but I think Allura was right," she said. "I think we need to look for a new Black Paladin. Whether Shiro is dead or alive, we're gonna need Voltron. I know he was one of the most important people in your life."

She looked at him, watching as he started crying.

"He was like a brother to me, Millie," he said.

Millie walked over to him, sitting down and running her fingers through his hair. "I know."

"I never had anyone else, but he was always there. It seems like everyone else doesn't care about it."

"Everyone cares about Shiro," Millie said. "But they're putting the universe above Shiro. He wanted you to pilot the Black Lion, maybe you should try at least until or if he comes back."

They stayed like that for a few minutes before Millie got up, joining the other Paladins in the lounge, all of whom moved to the hangar to look at the Black Lion when they saw Keith headed that way.

"Hey man," Lance said, stepping up to Keith. "Listen. We all miss Shiro. I remember what a thrill it was to meet him for the first time when the two of us carried him out of that Garrison hospital.

"I grew up with my dad and Matt telling me stories about him," Pidge chirpped. "He was a legend at our house."

"The guy taught me everything I know about being a pilot!" Hunk said. "Which isn't much, but that's on me."

Lance turned to Keith, eyes searching for something. "You're not the only one hurting, man. We're all right there with you. But you know he would be the first one to tell us that we have to move on."

"Keith, I know how you feel," Allura spoke up. "But our mission is bigger than any one individual. Even those who are completely irreplaceable."

"I know," Keith sighed. "And you're right. It's time to figure out how to reform Voltron.