Chapter Nine

Season One Episode Eight: Rebirth

"Oh no," was all Pidge said, breaking the awkward silence between the team.

"Please tell me there's no a giant monster in here," Hunk pleaded. "Please tell me it's empty. Or filled with candy. Either one of those would be fine."

"I don't think it's a piñata, Hunk," Lance said.

"If it's the same kind of monster that we battled on Arus, then we already know how to beat it," Keith said.

"Whatever it is, we'll still have to keep it from hitting the planet," Millie said.

Keith formed Voltron's sword, and Pidge brought up the shield. "Hold your ground!" Shiro yelled.

The capsule started to open, releasing smoke as it did so, and the walls fell apart to reveal the monster inside. The red robot raised its head and the green, chameleon-like eyes on it lit up. One eye was larger than the other.

The creature shoved its chest forwards and a green laser shot out of the chest. Voltron blocked the laser with his shield, but it still pushed the team back.

"That is not candy!" Hunk yelled.

"It's not the same monster, either," Lance said.

Voltron flew out of the way of the laser, leaving it to crash into the Balmera.

"We need to draw its fire away from the Balmera," Shiro said.

"Fly up into the air. It should follow you and that way the Balmera wont be hit," Millie suggested.

"Good idea, Millie."

Before they could even do anything, the robot raised itself into the air and shot a laser. Voltron raised his shield to block the laser, but the weight of the laser made them all groan as it tried to push them down.

As soon as the laser stopped, they flew around in circles, trying to not get hit by the lasers that the monster kept firing at them. They flew at it and tried slicing it with the sword, but that didn't work, as the monster dodged and shot at them, knocking them away.

After a bit more of dodging, attacking, blocking lasers, running away from lasers, and even getting their shield knocked away once, they finally decided to disband.

"It can't hit all of us at once, right?" Millie asked.

"I wouldn't be too sure, we don't know what this thing can do," Keith said.

As if the creature could hear Millie and wanted to prove her wrong, it raised its arms, revealing lots of little eyes, all of which shot a bunch of lasers. Millie flew her lion around, dodging lasers as best as she could, but she was hit by one and her lion fell to the ground.

"What was what about it not being able to shoot all of us at once?" Lance asked jokingly.

"Ha ha. Now if someone could help, I can't move my lion," Millie said, moving the controls to no avail.

"Keith, protect Millie!" Shiro quickly shouted, seeing the robot charging up its chest laser to shoot Millie. The Red Lion rushed protectively in front of Millie, preparing to block the laser from hitting her, but a shot from the castle distracted the creature.

Millie blocked all sound out of her mind as she focused only on getting her lion working again. She could just barely see and hear the others fighting the robot as she frantically pushed buttons, any and all that looked like it might help.

"Paladins, get to the tunnels," Shiro called. Millie felt her lion getting lifted into the air and taken into the mines.

Her lion was gently set down once they got to the bottom of the mine, in the same mineshaft as Shiro, Hunk, and Keith. Millie got up from her seat, trying to see if there was some other problem with her lion.