A Rougarou

Dean, Travis and I were by the table, fixing gas cans to use against the Rougarou when I look at Travis. "So fire, huh?" I asked Travis. "The only way I found to kill these bastards; deep-fry 'em." Travis said. "Well, that's gonna be...horrible. Is that what you did to Jack's dad?" Dean asked him. "Uh-huh." Travis said and Sam comes into the room from outside, papers in hand.

"Not wasting any time, are you?" Sam asked us. "None to waste. The guy hulks out, we won't be finding bodies, just remains." Travis said as Sam sits down on the bed next to the table. "What if he doesn't hulk out? I did a little homework. Uh, I've been checking out the lore on rougarous." Sam said and Travis raises an eyebrow.

"What? My 30 years of experience not good enough for you?" he asked. "What? No. No, I-I- I just wanted to be prepared. I mean, not that you didn't.." Sam stammers before Dean speaks up. "Sam loves research. He does. He keeps it under his mattress right next to his KY. It's a sickness." I said and Dean looks over at Sam, who's gives him a look. "It is." Dean said and Sam shakes his head. 

"Look, everything you said checked out, of course, but uh. I found a couple of interesting stories about people who have this rougarou gene or whatever. See, they start to turn, but they never take the final step." Sam explains. "Really?" Dean and I asked. "See, if they never eat human flesh, they don't fully transform." Sam said.

"So what? Go vegan, stay human?" Dean asked, sarcastically. "Basically. Or in this case, eat a lot of raw meat, just not..." Sam said before I finish his sentence. "Long pig." I added. "Right." Sam sad and Dean smiles a little, Travis is just sitting next to him, having watched and listened to Sam about this under silence.

"Good on you for the due diligence, Sam." He said as he gets up. "But those are fairy tales." Travis said and he walks over to the little pantry and pours himself another cup of coffee. "Fact is, every rougarou I ever saw or heard of...took that bite." He said. "Okay, well, that doesn't mean that Jack will." Sam said as he stands up. Dean and I watch Sam rise and then we stand up.

"So what do we do? Sit and hope and wait for a body count?" Travis asked. "No, we talk to him. Explain what's happening. That way he can fight it." Sam said. "Fight it?" Travis laughs "Are you kidding me? You ever been really hungry? I mean, haven't-eaten-in-days hungry?"

"Yeah." Dean said, nodding. "Yeah. Right then. So somebody slaps a big, juicy sirloin in front of you, you walking away?" Travis asked him. Dean looks thoughtfull for a second and then admits "no" without words, only raising of eyebrows. He slowly looks over at me and Sam. "That's what we are to him now, meat on legs. I'm sorry. I'm sure he's a stand-up guy, but it's pure, base instinct. Everything in nature's gotta eat. You think he can stop himself 'cause he's nice?" Travis asked.

"I don't know. But we're not gonna kill him unless he does something to get killed for." Sam said in a firm, serious tone. Dean and I look over at him as Sam takes a few breaths and then walks out of the room. Travis looks over at us, a bit puzzled by Sam's reaction.
"What's up with your brother?" he asked and Dean looks at the door and then Travis. "Don't get me started." Dean said as he turns to sit down again and I shrug at this.

Later, the boys and I were driving down a road, Dean is behind the wheel as per usual. "All right, so we're gonna go have a little chat with this guy--which, you know...I'm down." Dean said while Sam is just sitting quietly next to him, staring out the front windshield while I was in the backseat. "But I just want to make sure, if push comes, you're gonna shove." said Dean as he looks over at Sam, who finally turns to him.

"Meaning?" Sam asked. "Well, odds are we're gonna have to burn this guy alive." Dean said. "This guy has a name and a wife." Sam said, sternly. "Yeah, who we're probably gonna make a widow, okay? I mean, you heard Travis. He's gonna turn. They always turn." Dean said.