Scarecrow

I rubbed my tired eyes as I get up from the familiar bed. To save money, I told the boys about a nearby safehouse my dad had bought and we crashed here. I get changed and head down the stairs when I look in the living room area and see Dean passed out on the couch. 

I sighed and shake my head at this when I hear a phone ringing. I look over and see it was Dean's phone that was ringing as it sits on the coffee table. "Dean." I said as his phone continues to ring but he doesn't wake up. I sigh then answer his phone. 

"Hello?" I answered. "(Y/n), is that you?" A voice that I hadn't heard in awhile asked and my eyes widened. "John? Are you hurt?" I asked him. "I’m fine." He said. "I've been helping your sons to find you. We’ve been looking for you everywhere. We didn’t know where you were, if you were okay." I said. "I’m all right, (y/n). What about Sam and Dean?" John asked just as Dean starts to wake up and I heard Sam coming down the stairs.

"They’re fine. John, where are you?" I asked as Dean sits up on the couch and Sam stops in his tracks and stares at me. "Sorry, sweetheart, I can’t tell you that." John replied. "What? Why not?" I asked him. "Is that Dad?" Dean asked me and I nod at him. "Look, I know this is hard for you and the boys to understand. You’re just gonna have to trust me on this." John said and my eyes widen a bit.

"You’re after it, aren’t you? The thing that killed Mary." I said to him. "Yeah. It’s a demon, (y/n)." John replied. "A demon? You know for sure?" I asked and the boys look over at me. "A demon?" Sam said, confused. "What’s he saying?" Dean asked me. "I do. And not only that, I believe it's the same one that killed Sam's girlfriend and your mom." He said and my breath leaves my body.

"Are you serious?" I asked. "Yes, I am. You're dad was supposed to help me but then he...." John stopped and I frowned at this. "So....You know where it is?" I asked him. "Yeah, I think I’m finally closing in on it." He replied. "Let us help." I said. "You can’t. You and the boys can’t be any part of it." John said. "Why not?" I asked him while Dean comes up to me.

"Give me the phone." He said and I back away from him. "Listen... that’s why I’m calling. You, Sam and Dean, you gotta stop looking for me. Alright, now, I need you to write down these names." John said and I raise an eyebrow. "Names? What names, John—you need to talk to your sons! They're right here." I exclaimed and I hear him laugh.

"You sound like your father just now. Look, we don’t have time for this. This is bigger than you think, they’re everywhere. Even us talking right now, it’s not safe." John said. "No. Alright? No way." I said, firmly. "Give me the phone." Dean said then he grabs the phone from me. "Dad, it’s me. Where are you?" Dean asked and he listens while Sam comes up to me. "What did he want?" Sam asked me. "He wants us to stop looking for him." I replied as Dean said. "Yes, sir."

"What?" Sam said, shocked. "He also said he knows that the demon that killed my mom is the same one that killed your mom and your girlfriend." I said while Dean said. "Uh, yeah, I got a pen. What are their names?"

Later, we were in the car, I was driving while Dean was in the passenger seat and Sam was in the back, and heading to our next job. "Alright, so, the names Dad gave us, they’re all couples?" Sam asked Dean. "Three different couples. All went missing." Dean replied. "And they’re all from different towns? Different states?" I asked. "That’s right. You got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again." Dean said.

"Well, it’s a big country, Dean. They could’ve disappeared anywhere." Sam remarked. "Yeah, could’ve. But each one’s route took ‘em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another." said Dean. "This is the second week of April." I replied. "Yep." Dean said. "So, Dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes?" Sam asked, suspiciously. "Yahtzee." Dean exclaims.