Wendigo

It had been a week since Jess' death, the boys and I had stuck around to look for the monster that did this. But we came up with nothing, so we started to make our way to Blackwater Ridge. I followed the boys all the way to that place, we stopped one time at a gas station and I went to check on them when Sam sighs as he looks over the map. 

"It's weird, guys." Sam exclaims as Dean was finishing putting gas in his car. "What's weird, Sam?" I asked as I lean against the passenget side window to look at him. "These coordinates dad left us. This Blackwater Ridge." He replied. "What about it?" Dean asked once he starts to get inside of the car. "There's nothing there. It's just woods." Sam said then he sets the map there, while he looks around confused. "Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?" He asked us, Dean and I shrug before we loaded up and got back on the road.

Eventually, we parked next to a sign that said RANGER STATION Lost Creek Trail, Lost Creek National Forest. The three of us were inside of the ranger station, Sam and I were looking at a 3D map of the national forest, paying particular attention to the ridge labeled BLACKWATER RIDGE. Dean, on the other hand, was looking at the decorations.

"So Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote. It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place." I said as we stare at the map. "Guys, check out the size of this freaking bear." Dean said. We look over and see a framed photo of a man standing behind a much larger bear. Sam and I come to stand next to Dean. "And a dozen or more grizzlies in the area." Sam mutters. "It's no nature hike, that's for sure." I remarked.

"You three aren't planning on going out near Blackwater Ridge by any chance?" A male voice asked, startling us. We turned around to see a male ranger standing behind us, a look of suspicion on his face. "Oh, no, sir, we're environmental study majors from UC Boulder, just working on a paper." Sam replied then laughs a little while Dean grins and raises a fist. "Recycle, man." Dean said and I nodded.

"Bull. You're friends with that Haley girl, right?" The ranger asked and I consider this for a moment. "Yes. Yes, we are, Ranger—" I said then I check his nametag and see it said Wilkinson. "Wilkinson." I finished. "Well, I will tell you exactly what we told her. Her brother filled out a backcountry permit saying he wouldn't be back from Blackwater until the twenty-fourth, so it's not exactly a missing persons now, is it?" Wilkinson said and the boys and I shake our head. "You tell that girl to quit worrying, I'm sure her brother's just fine." Wilkinson said to us and I give a nod to him. "We will." I said.

"Yeah that Haley girl's quite a pistol, huh?" Dean asked. "That is putting it mildly." Wilkinson grumbles. "Actually you know what would help is if I could show her a copy of that backcountry permit. You know, so she could see her brother's return date." Dean said. Wilkinson eyes Dean, who raises his eyebrows at the man.

Dean was holding a piece of paper and laughing as we left the station and headed toward the Impala and my bike. "What, are you cruising for a hookup or something?" Sam asked him. "What do you mean?" Dean asked, confused. "The coordinates point to Blackwater Ridge, so what are we waiting for? Let's just go find Dad. I mean, why even talk to this girl?" Sam asked, annoyed, as we stop on opposite sides of the Impala, I was standing next to Dean while Sam was over on the passenger side.

"I don't know, maybe we should know what we're walking into before we actually walk into it?" Dean asked then there was a pause of silence. "What?" Sam said, confused. "Since when are you all shoot first ask questions later, anyway?" I asked Sam. Normally, he's never like this. I've been to a few hunts with them before all this and Sam usually is the one that likes to question everything. But now, he's gone all Rambo on us.

"Since now." Sam replied, firmly, then he gets inside of the car. Dean and I exchange looks as Dean said. "Really?" I shrug then head to my bike.