Sacrifices Must Be Made

"The scarecrow climbed off its cross?" Sam asked as Dean and I were talking to him through Dean's phone, which was on speakerphone, while we were sitting in a hotel. "Yeah, we're tellin’ ya. Burkittsville, Indiana. Fun Town." Dean said. "It didn’t kill the couple, did it?" Sam asked. "No." Dean and I said in unison.

"So, something must be animating it. A spirit." Sam said, thinking. "No, it’s more than a spirit. It’s a god. A Pagan god, anyway." I replied. "What makes you say that?" Sam asked. "The annual cycle of its killings? And the fact that the victims are always a man and a woman. Like some kind of fertility right." I said and Dean nods. "And you should see the locals. The way they treated this couple. Fattenin’ ‘em up like a Christmas turkey." Dean said. "The last meal. Given to sacrificial victims." Sam said. "Yeah, we're thinking a ritual sacrifice to appease some Pagan god." I replied.

"So, a god possesses the scarecrow..." Sam said. "And the scarecrow takes its sacrifice. And for another year, the crops won’t wilt, and disease won’t spread." Dean explains. "Do you guys know which god you’re dealing with?" Sam asked. "No, not yet." I said. "Well, both of you figure out what it is, you two can figure out a way to kill it." Sam said. "We know. We're actually on our way to a local community college. We’ve got an appointment with a professor. You know, since we don’t have our trusty sidekick geek boy to do all the research." Dean said and we hear Sam laugh.

"You know, if you’re hinting you need my help, just ask." Sam said and Dean looks over at me as I pat his shoulder a give him a you know what you have to do look. "I’m not hinting anything. Actually, uh—I want you to know….I mean, don’t think…." Dean stammers before Sam speaks over him. "Yeah. I’m sorry, too." He said and I smirked a bit.

"Sam. You were right. You gotta do your own thing. You gotta live your own life." Dean said as he looks over at me and I nod at him with a smile. "Are you serious?" Sam asked. "You’ve always known what you want. And you go after it. You stand up to Dad. And you always have. Hell, I wish I—anyway….I admire that about you. I’m proud of you, Sammy." Dean said and there was a moment of silence.

"I don’t even know what to say." Sam said. "Say you’ll take care of yourself." Dean said, sincerely. "I will." Sam said. "Call us when you find John." I said to Sam. "OK. Bye, guys." Sam said in a sad voice and Dean hangs up the phone. "You sure about this, Dean?" I asked him. "Yeah..." he replied, softly, as he goes and gets ready for bed.

The next day, Dean and I make our way to the community college and we walk along with the professor. "It’s not every day I get a research question on Pagan ideology." He said to us. "Yeah, well, call it a hobby." Dean remarks.

"But you said you two were interested in local lore?" asked the Professor. "Mmhmm." Dean and I said. "I’m afraid Indiana isn’t really known for its Pagan worship." He said. "Well, what if it was imported? You know, like the Pilgrims brought their religion over. Wasn’t a lot of this area settled by immigrants?" Dean asked him. "Well, yeah." said the Professor.

"Like that town near here, Burkittsville. Where are their ancestors from?" I asked him. "Uh, northern Europe, I believe, Scandinavia." He replied. "What could you tell us about those Pagan gods?" Dean asked him. "Well, there are hundreds of Norse gods and goddesses." He said. "We're actually looking for one. Might live in an orchard." I said.

Later, in a classroom, the professor puts a large book down on a table and opens it. "Woods god, hm? Well, let’s see." He said as he leafs through some pages. On one page, I notice a picture of a scarecrow on a post surrounded by farmers in a field.

"Wait, wait, wait. What’s that one?" I asked him, pointing at the picture. "Oh, that’s not a woods god, per se." He said as Dean reads the book. "The V-Vanir?" Dean reads and the professor nods. "The Vanir were Norse gods of protection and prosperity, keeping the local settlements safe from harm. Some villages built effigies of the Vanir in their fields. Other villages practiced human sacrifice. One male, and one female." Dean reads then he points to the picture.