Chapter 57 : Vanilla Wedding Cake

January 3, 2016, Los Angeles

People are full of regrets. Some might say, what really matters is what you actually do about it.

I'm one of them. I'm full of regrets.

I have one big regret right now...and I don't have a clue on how to fix it.

"You're a couple of hours too late." I heard Tom murmur as I walked into the kitchen.

The house in Aberdeen looked like an abandoned villa vacated by people in the middle of a party.

I almost didn't recognize it. It was decorated by all sorts of ornaments, simple, yet elegant. Just like the bride.

"What are you doing here, Rob? Manage to catch the flight after all?" Tom stared at me. He was sitting on the high chair at the counter eating what appears to be our supposed wedding cake.

"We have cake?" I blurted out. It sounds inconsequential even to my own ears. Somehow there are no proper words or thoughts coming out of me right now.

"No you don't." He glared and continued. "You didn't have a wedding cake. She made her own wedding cake."

I glanced at the simple two-tiered white pastry decorated by hand with flowers and what-nots and topped by a bride and groom who appears to be dancing in a little makeshift gazebo.

Tom plucked the gazebo and set it aside as he cut another slice for himself.

"What are you doing?" I ask, the accusation in my voice almost unnoticeable.

He paused to look at me with a mocking smile. "I'm cutting your wedding cake for you. Oh and by the way if ever you were asked it's vanilla of course, very traditional of Kristen."

He continued to cut it, not one slice, but the entire piece itself. All I can think about that moment is how there won't be any wedding cake left. All her efforts, for naught.

The next thing I knew I was on him, grabbing his arm with the knife trying to twist it to disarm him of it.

"What the---" He managed to groan out before I tackled him to the kitchen floor.

I was in over my head of course. I took Tom by surprise, but I didn't stand a chance. He turned to avoid my grasp and delivered a blow knocking me off my feet, face down on the floor.

"Bloody! What the fuck is your problem?!!" He demanded over me.

I didn't answer. I can hear him clearly, but I didn't want to get up from the current respite his blow gave me.

I was a broken man, because of fucked up trust issues I manage to ruin the only thing that mattered to me. I managed to hurt the one person I was dying to see happy. And now, I'm hurting my friend for a wedding cake. Her cake. Our cake.

I woke up in London earlier, believing I was making the right decision by her.

Although, there was a part of me that doubted myself, a part of me that held on. That part was the one that finally made me catch the very last flight for LA that day, only to realize that I made another colossal mistake by her.

Only to regret it after all.

"Rob. Shit Rob. Are you crying?" Tom said to my prostrate form on the floor.

"I made a mistake Tom" I almost sobbed.

"...and this time I know I ran out of chances with her."

**********************

Hey guys. It has been three months since I last updated. Please don't hate me.

Anyway. I started rereading it again to get my fact and fictions straight. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. Hopefully from now I can update at least once a week.

Thank you for your support!