Chapter 42 : Fallin' out

November 2015, Los Angeles

"So tell me, what's this new place I heard you got?" Derek, a friend asked me while we were having a dinner and beer out with the group this saturday night.

It's one of those days again where I go out indifferent and go home too drunk to care.  Why does LA do this to me? It's like there's a need to be constantly inebriated, I was quite aware I had been going out like this since 2014, partying till the wee hours. It's this instead of that big empty hole gaping in my chest that needs to be filled with women and alcohol.

"Rob. You still alive, Man?" Derek's voice reminded me of my present occupation, finishing my 3rd bottle of beer.

"Sorry. I just remembered something. What were you asking?" I asked.  I really do need to cut back on this drinking and concentrate more on my friends, they are after all why I came tonight.

"They said you bought a new place! Where is it?" Derek asked again, now in a louder voice because the music was louder than the usual.

Oh. He was asking me about my new place. Should I tell? There's really no harm to it if I did, he probably wouldn't have remembered it anyway.

"Somewhere near Mulholland...it's the one readily available" I shrugged, trying not to call more attention to this topic.

"That's great! We could probably hang out there one of these days!" He declared, gaining approval from the group around the table.

"Naaaaah.....Michelle Branch won't like that..." I reasoned. Yes, Michelle is my neighbor, again.

They just laughed it off and forgotten about it like I predicted.  Who wants to hang out in that house anyway, it was far too big, and far too homey? Besides, it was temporary.  It was a last-minute decision that surprised not only me, but everyone in my team also.  The truth is, I really don't have any plans of sharing my new address to my friends and family.  They would draw a completely different conclusion. 

I don't know what came over me.  I just knew I had to have it again, it was a very masochistic move considering the circumstances, but there was no hold backs. I had to have 2666 Aberdeen again.

"And look who's here to liven up the party!" Derek's voice boomed through my thoughts, even the loud music can't contain it.

"Hey Derek." The new guy greeted. I would recognize that voice anywhere now.

I turned to greet the newcomer, Nicholas, that friggin bastard.

"Hey Nic..." I said as casually as I can, as he set out for the place in front of me.

Kristen has to be here then, they seem to be together every time I encounter them in party like these.  Does she really have to trail after him? That thought that they're connected by the hip now suddenly made me seethe.

"Robert...you're here too." Nic nodded to my direction as he sat. There was no qualms to this guy, no hesitation or caution.  I can't wait to wipe that smug look of his face once I get her back.

"Of course, we run the same circles my friend." I replied. I couldn't be any smoother, I congratulated myself.

He smirked and turned to the guy next to him and started chatting. Now that he's distracted, I slowly excused myself from the group. 

A few turns inside the place and I'd probably find her with the girls. So, I methodically went to every room, checking every table hoping to see the familiar streak of brown hair or that mischievous glint in her green eyes.

My search was fruitless, apparently she chose this night to get detached.

Aaah Kristen, how clever. Always finding a way to keep your distance.

That thought sobered me up.

Instead of going back to the my group, I casually turned around and head for the terrace to catch a smoke break, but not before I passed by Nicholas and a friend on the bar waiting for a drink to be served.  They couldn't possibly see me from my place, but it lent me acoustic advantage.  I didn't even know why I'm suddenly eavesdropping, but I think I just heard them mention Kristen.

"But Kristen mentioned she was coming. Lilah was asking." The other guy said.

"She couldn't come." Nic replied, almost a whisper.  It was difficult to hear.

"Aww too bad.  I can't believe she missed Lilah's birthday" the other guy replied, dejection clearly in his voice.

I shook my head.  The ass, if she doesn't want to come, she won't.  These people are nuts sometimes.

"No don't take it the wrong way.  Kristen wanted to, trust me, but..." Nic defended.

I raised my brows at that hesitation as I settled myself on the wall at the corner of the bar hidden from their view, slowly taking draughts from my beer as I heightened up my senses. But what?

"but we had a little falling out..." Nic continued. "I'm sure Lilah will understand"

As I heard those words, I almost dropped my bottle of beer on the floor. Falling out? Falling out! Damn it if it wasn't the best news he's heard for weeks!

I smiled remembering her softening to my kiss the other night, her breathless moan as I nibbled her ear and kiss her neck. The only problem was actually almost forcing her to open up to his kisses which she didn't take kindly.  All this time, it had him worried that he'll propel her into Nic's arms because of one drunken experiment.  He was wrong, and he couldn't be any happier because of that.

This falling out may have rooted from that other night, from his little dance with her under the moonlight, just to remind her that what they had was the best.

Yes, I still think we're the best, Kristen.

With that in mind, I smiled to myself, finished my beer and went back to the group to start saying my excuses.

I had to leave. I had to see her.  I need to see her again, but I know I can't just go barging into her house like this.

Tomorrow, I'll see her and the dogs tomorrow. My heart soared thinking about them.

Finally, LA is starting to feel like home again.