Chapter 43 : Aberdeen

December 2015, Los Angeles

"So, Is the guest of honor coming?" Tom teased as he patiently took sips of his Bourbon. 

He and his little family were here for the holidays and he was one of the stops.

"What guest of honor?" I asked while observing the catering staff field hors d'oeuvre to the milling guest in the patio.

I was having a little get together for the people in the industry, and it was a first after I took hold of this house again.

The big spanish colonial was an endearing property near the golf course, one would think I purchased it because of that.  They wouldn't know I was purchasing it again for the memories it held for me, those were the real treasure. 

It was only proper I throw a bash as expected.  This wasn't one of my usual parties, but it was wise to do this once in a while for people you used to work with, and people you would want to work with in the future.

Tom laughed. "Aside from the guest of honor, whose presence we're still waiting for, I still cannot get over the fact that you have a catering staff handle this," he continued.  He was still berating him for not getting a proper hostess to handle the party.  He was confident enough to think he can handle this one without a woman in charge.

"Sir, We have a problem with the wines" One of the busboy approached him, to Tom's amusement, speaking of.

"What problem?" I asked, praying it wasn't anything not listed in his repertoire.

"Well..."

"I think I just saw a film director wave at me...excuse me" Tom started as he made a hasty get away, leaving him to face this one on his own. Damn it.  He should have gotten a hostess.

"The additional batch can't make it tonight, Sir" The boy informed him.

"So when are they gonna make it? Tomorrow?" I replied sarcastically.

That was uncalled for. He was feeling a little snappish and in the brink of losing his patience, and he can read it in the boy's face how sorry he was.  He was the appointed one to deliver the unfortunate news, and has been doing it the entire night for a multitude of things you wouldn't believe a party as small as this is capable of.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to offend." I hastily apologized as I mentally cursed myself. "Is there anything I can-"

"I think I can help?"

I turned.

I turned to look at the woman in the red gown who was casually leaning on my kitchen door frame. 

Apparently, the guest of honor has arrived, and she was slaying dragons already.

She smiled at me, and I can't help but smile back.  She looked very much at home.

"And I thought you were never gonna come..." I murmured, my heart beating at triple rhythm.

"Shut up." She jokingly scolded as she made her way past me and signaled the boy to come with her.

I stared, and sighed, and stared longingly again at her retreating form. That woman, how many times does she have to take away my breath before she manages to kill me?

"Wipe your saliva, Robert" Sienna whispered right behind me. 

I instinctively reached up to my mouth. Of course, there wasn't any truth to that. I glanced at Sienna, now beside me. She came in the kitchen with Kristen, and it was very typical and male of me to not notice her as my hormones zone-in to the only woman.

"Very funny, Sienna." I narrowed my eyes at her smug smile.  She was having way too much fun in my expense.

"I heard somebody is not exclusively dating someone lately" She continued to tease.

"If you were referring to Kristen and Nicholas, it is none of my business." I glumly replied. 

"Oh really? So it's totally okay for Nicholas to be here tonight then?" She asked.

"What? He's here?! He wasn't invited." I suddenly exclaimed.

"Lower your hackles. I was just kidding." Sienna said while stifling her laugh.

I turned away from her as I saw Tom pass by the hallway.

"Thomas! Control your woman!" I called to him, I was done with Sienna for tonight, I left her in the kitchen while she finished laughing off the entire episode.

I made my way to the corner front yard where I know where Kristen was.

There, in conversation with the head caterer, she was like a lodestone for this lonely heart.

I silently watched her as she handled everything smoothly.  I knew the caterer was glad for her sudden presence than having to be stuck with me tonight, words wouldn't be enough to thank her later.

She was like a vision in red. Fleeting from one room to another as she greeted some of his guest who were also friends of hers.  They would be asking a lot of questions about their current arrangements, but business is business, they really don't let tabloid concerns get to them.

She would discreetly arrange a flower setting, then would ask someone if he needs more wine or food. Everywhere he turns tonight, she was the only thing he can see. She was at home again. It was so nostalgic of the better days he wanted to cry out in unmet frustration. All his concentration to tamp down his obvious feelings, and longing, all those efforts down the drain.

Damn it Kristen. Damn it.

"Dying to have her in your arms again, Rob?" Sam said beside me.  He was casually watching me the entire time as my eyes follow her around the place.

"Hmm? What? I was just noticing how David is so invested with that new guy" I shrugged, trying to displace Sam's observations.

"Think twice Rob." Sam warned before he stood up and went somewhere else.

I sighed.  Some of my friends have questioned the wisdom of going back to Los Angeles again.  They kind of knew that there was only one thing that keeps me coming back to this city, and some of the opinionated ones doesn't like it.

Sometimes, I would rather them not have opinions at all.  Especially now, when I'm questioning my sanity myself. 

I downed my scotch as I try to dismiss any negative thoughts.  I was perfectly fine and full of hope before Sam shattered it all with just a line.

Now, I'm not even sure of anything anymore.

I sneaked a last glance at the woman who had me wrapped around her fingers as I told my heart to slow down and think twice.

Think twice, I told myself again and again.  It was like a never-ending echo.  I frowned, I could kill Sam for this.