Chapter 44 : In Her Defense

January 2018, Los Angeles

"Okay, you guys take a break for now. We'll do the friendly part in a while and I mean it when I say I want you friendly!" Katy lectured as she stood arms akimbo in front of me and Kristen while were sitting next to each other on the park bench.

It's another day of filming her music videos in this cold January, but it's one of the last ones for this month. I swear this music video takes so much of me than my other films.

"Are you two listening?" Katy asked, her eyes narrowing at our indifferent faces.

"I promise to be friendly." I automatically answered.

I glanced at Kristen who looked askance at me before shrugging.

"Whatever." She mumbled before fishing for something in her pocket.

We watched Katy walk back to her little tent to talk to some crew.  Our assistants were now rushing to us ready for any wardrobe adjustments or any needs.

I signaled mine to turn back while I shake my head at him. Kristen's assistant, seeing it also, stopped hesitantly before looking to her. 

"Hello? Yeah. We're on a break right now." She conversed on her phone.

Her assistant, seeing she was busy she turned back with mine.

Ah good. Now I can get started on those friendly terms Katy was so hyped about.

I looked at her shaking her leg and frowning to whoever she was talking to.

"Are you sure you guys are fine? What's he up to right now? Make sure to keep him away from the little stuff, he might swa-- I know! I'm not lecturing you! Cam! Cameron Listen! Li-- I'm sorry! Okay fine! Could you at least make sure he doesn't crawl out of the dog door again? Okay. I'll check again later. Bye"

She sighed as she dropped the call.  I can't help but glance at her screen as she slowly lowered it to her lap. On it was Baby Thomas who was happily clapping his hands, and of course, a laughing Nicholas was cradling him on top of his knees. The pain was instant, it wasn't even something you'd expect, it was like a zap, sharp but gone in a second. I don't even know why the picture made me react like that.  I've seen a couple more at her house, but on her phone, I remember a completely different picture of me with Jella. This was ridiculous. I grimaced unconsciously and tried to hide it, tried to seem unfazed.

Unfortunately, she caught me looking and she did catch the reaction too. Must be why she shut it off immediately and stashed it back in her pocket and smiled brilliantly at me.

"Where were we?" She asked cheerfully, and I knew she was just trying when she was really bursting with curses inside.

I narrowed my eyes at her. I can't believe we're back to a point in our lives where she can't even curse or rail about someone in front of me. Zap, there it goes again.

Damn it. Nobody prepared me for this.

"Are you okay?" I asked. I knew she was worried earlier about Thomas.

"Hmm? I'm fine. I was just checking on the little dude back home" She said with a smile.

"So Cameron's the one who's baby sitting him right now?" I inquired, an eyebrow raised.

She scoffed and looked back at me. "Trust me, he's really good with him."

"Really? We can't even leave the dogs to him before." I blurted out.

Her expression was priceless. We have never brought it up, that elephant of our past relationship.  We might have mentioned little things these past few days but it was never as direct as this one comparison.

"I can't believe you just said that." She said with a straight face. I hesitated. Is she pissed or about to laugh?

"But it's true...he even forgot to feed them. I remember you saying 'never again,"  She started shaking her head at me. "Don't try to deny it."

"Those were dogs, this is a baby we're talking about. I don't think Cam would forget his nephew!" She defended.  Her face incredulous after my judgment.

"Uh huh...you say that now..." I continued to egg her, not even caring that I didn't have much of a point.

She thinned her lips at me.  She was rethinking, of course, I know that face. I know it better than anyone else. I also recognized it when she was about to give in to me.  She always did at the end.

"Shut up" She gritted. I laughed. "Anyway, If he ever did, I would freaking lynch him."

I guffawed.  I miss moments like these, with her telling me to shut up, and her stubbornness too. "I don't think you could take him on. You threatened so many times before." I smirked at her.

She scoffed again. "Yeah right, and if I can't. He'll get it from Nic." She stated with a very convinced smile on her face.

That silenced me.

"Huh. I don't think he can take him on too." I answered.  Yeah, I seriously don't think he can handle him. Cam's a freak when challenged.

She turned to look at me so fast with that offended look on her face, I almost didn't catch it when it turned to belligerent.

"Don't underestimate Nic. He can be quiet, but he has a temper, and you don't want to see it." She said with all her seriousness.

For a moment I thought she was warning me, but Kristen challenged is Kristen not backing down. She would use everything in her arsenal.  I find it frankly invigorating right now.  I was crazy.

"You just say that..." I said with a little dismissing hand gesture.

"Me, and the paparazzi he has knocked down a couple of times" She said.  I glanced at her, there was no mistaking that softening look she has in her eyes.

Fuck, way to go Rob, way to amp up the other one.

"Knocked down?! He's crazy that's for sure. You can't go knocking down people because you feel like it." I said in a disbelieving tone.

"He was just defending me." She answered back as she stood up.  Before she walked away she looked back. "But of course, that's beneath you." Then she walked away. 

She walked away and I sat there feeling like the douchiest guy in the world.  Fuck Nicholas.  I should have never started that conversation, I ended up sounding like a jealous boyfriend again, only to be set down in the most honest way possible.

"What the fuck did just happen?" Katy asked accusingly while pointing to Kristen who was walking back to her tent. " I thought we agreed on friendly?"

"Shut up Katy" I said to her surprised face and ran after Kristen.  She has to listen, I did try to defend her, so many times I wanted to. I just need her to know that. 

I was desperate for her to know that. 

********

AN: Gaah im so sorry for taking too long to update.  I promise to squeeze all the juices in my brain for the next one. Peace!